Home » Audio » Speaker » Wiring arrays
Wiring arrays [message #22544] Thu, 17 March 2005 14:52 Go to next message
Dave Merrill is currently offline  Dave Merrill
Chancellor
I am a new speaker builder having just finished my first folded voigt speaker system using seas and vifa drivers which I am very happy with. I now want to try arrays with 16/side 269-570 parts express 8 ohm, 4" speakers. Can someone here send me a drawn picture of the speaker wiring.I have tweaked these poor little things to eliminate ringing with polyurathane on the baskets and "damar" on the cones.I have series/parralel wired 4 speakers ending up with in the neighborhood of 6-7.5 ohms. How do I wire each segment of 4 together?

THanks
Dave Merrill

Re: Wiring arrays [message #22547 is a reply to message #22544] Fri, 18 March 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmanning is currently offline  cmanning
Chancellor
Take four of them and wire them in parallel. Do this four times. Now wire the four sets of four in series. Firstly, its 1/8+1/8+1/8+1/8=1/2 is 2 ohms. The magic number (the answer) for paralleled resistance is the denominator of the added inverse of the resistance of each speaker. When you add the four paralleled sets together, then it's 2+2+2+2 when they are series wired. With those NSB's wired in the above method, you will know you are right when the array measures ~7.4 ohms or so. You might care to drill out the small lug (3/32 or 5/64) on the nsb's so it will accept a 16 ga. wire directly. I solder the tails on the half the speakers before mounting just 'cause it's easier.

Put the pipes up on ebay. You'll never look back after you fire up those arrays.

Good luck!

Re: Wiring arrays [message #22548 is a reply to message #22547] Sat, 19 March 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David c. Merrill is currently offline  David c. Merrill
Esquire
Thanks C manning for the suggestion

Re: Wiring arrays [message #22549 is a reply to message #22547] Mon, 21 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David c. Merrill is currently offline  David c. Merrill
Esquire
Thanks for the help and your dead on with 7.4 ohms precisely

Re: Wiring arrays [message #22550 is a reply to message #22549] Mon, 21 March 2005 13:10 Go to previous message
chipco3434 is currently offline  chipco3434
Esquire
So fire 'em up and tell us what you think. Here's what I have figured out. They need tweeters... otherwise the "air" just isn't there. They need a sub, and this is from somebody who never liked bass.

I have used the cheap Onkyo's (PIA wiring) and the PT-2's. For the bass, I built some Tuba 18's. I could not give a higher recommendation on the Tuba's. They are phenominal and the perfect addition to the LA's.

Have you pushed those horns out to the garage yet? I use one of mine for a table for the cooker.

Previous Topic: Who Came Up With The Name
Next Topic: Foster Tweeters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 04:12:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout