Home » Audio » Speaker » Jim Griffin
Jim Griffin [message #22535] Thu, 10 March 2005 21:51 Go to next message
Andy G is currently offline  Andy G
Viscount
I am STILL in the planning stage for the "Gumby" array.
Looks like I will be able to pick up 20 Vifa P11WH at a pretty good price. I have a PA 15" that is nice and smooth down low and has 96dB sensitivity, I should be able to get it tuned at 40Hz if I'm careful.

Still wondering what the best approach for the single tweeter will be. Considering the Peerless horn tweeter cos it has the sensitivity I will need.
Any suggestions, remembering I may have problems getting hold of some of the ribbon tweeters.

TIA, AG

should read... [message #22536 is a reply to message #22535] Thu, 10 March 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I have a pair of 15"......

Re: Jim Griffin [message #22538 is a reply to message #22535] Fri, 11 March 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Andy,

I'm assuming that you are thinking 3-way with this design. I'm not sure about the P11's sensitivity in the array but I assume that with 10 of them you would be in the upper 90's dB so it would work with the woofer and tweeter. Keep in mind though that you will have to account for some baffle step comp on both the woofer and mids in this design. You may need to pad down the mids and tweeter a bit to match the sensitivities.

I've never used the Peerless HDT100 (is that your tweeter choice?) but it would take a 2500 Hz crossover OK. Its shortcoming is the rolloff in the 15K Hz and above range. If this is for a PA application, then you can then perhaps get away with this tweeter.

You can get the single tweeter and line array mids to work if this is a home application where-in the listeners are approximately the same distance from the source. You can blend the SPLs so that everything is OK at that distance. But if this a PA case, then the prinicipal shortcoming with a single tweeter per side kind of design with these line array mids would be the difference in sound fall-off for the array--likely near field for 3 dB per doubling of distance from the source decay for much of its operation--vs. the tweeter and woofer which have a far field sound decay (6 dB per doubling of distance). Hence, balancing the sound in the area at different distances from the sources becomes an issue.

Jim

Thanks Jim. [message #22539 is a reply to message #22538] Fri, 11 March 2005 23:54 Go to previous message
Viscount
I'm sorta stuck with 1 tweeter for this project. It is designed for use in home , but may occasionally get a trip to a gig, not sure on that one. I do understand the difference in drop off, but unfortunately don't have access to multiple cheap small tweeters.

The off axis response of the Peerless is a tad of a concern, but I really am not sure what I can do about it. The roll off above 15k probably matches my ears

I may see if I can hunt down a different tweeter, but it needs to be around 94dB sensitivity at least for its job.

Oh well, if it doesn't work, I can always buy a few woofs and gradually use up the P11's some other way , maybe in a W/mtm HT system !!!

Thanks for your help !!!

Previous Topic: Speaker 120dB
Next Topic: Selah Audio XT8 Construction Photos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 19:13:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers