Home » Audio » Speaker » Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ?
Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ? [message #22429] Wed, 12 January 2005 05:54 Go to next message
flacoman is currently offline  flacoman
Chancellor
Having read the white paper on line sources , I pondered the idea of mass-loading the outer drivers ,rather than lowering the drive signal.
By mass loading you lower the sensitivity and Fs, thus sneaking a little more extension out of the smallish drivers used . Bill: any thoughts?

TIA
Jorge

Re: Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ? [message #22430 is a reply to message #22429] Fri, 14 January 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Jorge

I think you are referring to adding extra mass to the cone? You're 100% right - adding extra mass will lower Fs, lower sensitivity and will also raise Qms and hence Qts. It will reduce excursion-limited power handling though, if your intent is to use it at lower frequencies, which is what I think you want to do as you wouldn't add extra mass unless you wanted it to do deeper.

Adrian

Re: Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ? [message #22431 is a reply to message #22429] Fri, 14 January 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Jorge,

The 90deg phase point will be at a lower fs than the other drivers. I think this would be similar to moving the driver a few inches away from the listener. 10 deg at 100 hz is .091m (about 4").
(330/100 ) x (10/360) = .091m
-Linc

Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ? [message #22432 is a reply to message #22430] Fri, 14 January 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flacoman is currently offline  flacoman
Chancellor
That's the exact idea . If I spread the power handling out across enough drivers , I should likely br OK. I'm thinking along the lines of a few coats of epoxy spray paint to stiffen the cone and a topcoat of damping goop. Having loaded up largish woofers in the past , I can't say too much about the midrange qualities of such a driver Thanks all ,and more comment welcomed .

peace
Jorge

Re: Power tapering Idea - Mass loading ? [message #22433 is a reply to message #22432] Sat, 15 January 2005 21:46 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah, try all those things. I've never used epoxy spray to add mass to a cone, so I'm not sure if it will actually add an amount of substance. Give it a go and tell us how it went.

Adrian

Previous Topic: E130-8 horn load or 2 on open baffle or K-Horn?
Next Topic: heard a new prototype
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 03:52:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout