Home » Audio » Speaker » Array soundstage
Array soundstage [message #22422] Mon, 03 January 2005 09:59 Go to next message
Val is currently offline  Val
Esquire
I am interested in line arrays but have never listened to any of them. I read somewhere that some (Epiphany?) reproduce a strangely elevated soundstage. Is this a necessary tradeoff of a taller array = less ceiling bounce?

Val

Re: Array soundstage [message #22423 is a reply to message #22422] Tue, 04 January 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Val,

I have never heard the Epiphany speakers so I can not comment on wht soneone else may have heard. I can say that this is not a tradeoff of a taller array if proper design techniques are used. If you have a true near field line array then you will have very little sound that would reflect off of the the floor or ceiling surfaces. In the near field the sound wavefront radiates outward from the sound column parallel to these surfaces with very little bounce. You hear essentially the same sound sitting, standing, or taking deep knee bends in front of the speakers.

I suggest that you seek to hear a well designed near field array. One possible contact is Rick Craig with Selah Audio (www.selahaudio.com) who has several line array models that use outstanding drivers at very reasonable costs.

Jim

Re: Array soundstage [message #22424 is a reply to message #22423] Tue, 04 January 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Val is currently offline  Val
Esquire
Jim,

Thanks for the answer. What you say makes a tall array even more desirable, as there will be less room interaction because one of the room dimensions is practically taken out of the equation.

In fact, I plan to buy my next speakers from Selah Audio. At this time I don't know yet if it will be an array.

Val

Re: Array soundstage [message #22428 is a reply to message #22424] Sat, 08 January 2005 17:57 Go to previous message
daveh is currently offline  daveh
Esquire
I recently had an opportunity to visit Epiphany Audio in Spokane and listened to their 6-6 plus and 12-12 models, words can hardly describe how beautifully detailed and and accurate the sound was. Ken Gates and his assistant put on several bluegrass tracks I love to hear on my Energy Veritas speakers, and their units revealed details I had never heard before. The sound stage was well balanced and very wide and deep. If anyone is at CES this weekend they should try to hear these units. I did not get to hear their top of the line 21-20, but it is too large for my room.

Previous Topic: Trying to understand bass "quality"....
Next Topic: Speaker producing Light Show
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 14:11:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout