Home » Audio » General » "Shuddup Sylvia, I can't hear......"
"Shuddup Sylvia, I can't hear......" [message #2218] Wed, 14 September 2005 15:58 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Like all of you, I agonise over whether I wuill hear this or that bat's wings flutter through my stereo. Just like I always have. For 30 years.
The sad truth is that I constantly ask people to repeat the question or ask a third party what was said. My mid-range hearing is shot!
Speakerman was over not long ago and commented on how the room was distorting the mid-range. All I could say was "really?"
I have always been and remain extremely sensitive to higher frequencies.
As we age our stereos must seem weirder and weirder to younger ears.

Re: "Shuddup Sylvia, I can't hear......" [message #2219 is a reply to message #2218] Wed, 14 September 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
When I first came to Cinci, the company I worked for had me take a hearing test as part of my physical. I was shocked at how bad my hearing really was. Wasn't quite severe, but it was moderate and limited to about 14kc. Now I take care of my hearing by always wearing war protection when exposed to loud noises.

Sounds silly, but cleaning with a ear kit really seemed to help. Reminds me of a guy my wife used to work with. He went in for a physical and the doctor checked his ears. Doc reached for some tweasers and pulled out part of an ear plug. Wife's friend was quite shocked; he had not worn earplugs since he went to a concert several years earlier......Colin

Re: "Shuddup Sylvia, I can't hear......" [message #2220 is a reply to message #2219] Wed, 14 September 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Remember when you were young and went into the electronics department of a store and the television flyback transformers drove you nuts? The sound they make is 15,750Hz.

Re: "Shuddup Sylvia, I can't hear......" [message #2221 is a reply to message #2220] Fri, 16 September 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes.

Flourescent light noise (shoplights etc) still drive
me wild. I do not and never could understand why
anyone would use these devices in their home-- esp. in
a basement shop with low ceilings which brings the sound
that much closer and louder. :-/

At my fathers house and in shop jobs I had when younger
I'd ask, "Can't you _hear_ that?"

"Hear what?" was the usual response.

Re: "Shuddup Sylvia, I can't hear......" [message #2222 is a reply to message #2218] Sat, 17 September 2005 00:32 Go to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Like a lot of us who grew up on motorcycle races and rock concerts, you have a very hard time hearing speech detals over background noise.  I have forty years in workshops into the bargain, and I need a black background from which to pick intelligent speech.

There are more than one measure(s) of hearing acquity.  The above is one.  Another is the standard test of threshold of hearing / frequency.  In my youth (say, age thirty), the ultrasonic burglar alarms used by many retail stores would drive me right out of the place.  Fortunately, these monstrosities are no longer used, so I do not have to bemoan the loss.

My pal Ginger, the musician, loves to tease me about this, cupping her hand by her ear and saying, "What?, what?" when I ask her to repeat.  Then, she plays her mandolin ukulele for me (which I made for her), and I ask, "Is that fourth string right? It sounds cold, like a steel (rather than brass) wrap."

She stares at me like an alien, and shows me the uke; steel-wrapped fourths.  "They didn't have the brass .028", I had to take the steel.  Damn you!"

Threshold/frequency is not sonic accuracy.  Raw aural acquity is not skillful listening.  I would be afraid to take an aurigram at this point, fearing that it would disqualify me as a purist hi-fi gooroo; but I can listen to the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra play Bach in Ordway MT, and hear the tone of each individual fiddle.

Enjoy the music; let it bring you bliss, which you rightly deserve,

Poinz

Previous Topic: Dan Wiggins: recommendation please
Next Topic: Monitor Audio MA2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 20:41:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers