Home » Audio » Speaker » Straight 8
Straight 8 [message #22210] Thu, 12 August 2004 11:39 Go to next message
Allan Joiner is currently offline  Allan Joiner
Esquire
I have a question that has been bugging me. Why is the tweeter in the Bottlehead S8 speaker on top? Shouldn't it be centered and more at seated listening level?
Allan

Re: Straight 8 [message #22213 is a reply to message #22210] Sat, 14 August 2004 08:16 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As I understand it from things I have read on the Bottlehead forum, some of the Straight 8 design objectives, in addtion to sounding good, were high sensitivity, reasonable price, and relatively easy enclosure construction. At the time of its introduction the only high sensitivity alternatives were vintage speakers, expensive and large horn speakers, or smaller bass-shy ported designs. The enclosure's volume is determined largely by the type and number of midwoofers, and the actual HWD dimensions, especially the height, were influenced by the size of a 4X8 sheet of mdf. The 4' height would place a mid-array tweeter about 2' off the floor, and the treble would be attenuated for standing listeners. The top-placement permits a more reasonable compromise for seated listeners, or with the enclosures tilted back slightly, for standing listeners. Ideally the Straight 8 could be built with the same internal volume in a 5'+ high enclosure with mid placement of the tweeter, and a slightly narrower width.

Previous Topic: for Jim Giffin
Next Topic: Jordan JX92S questions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:50:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout