Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone interested in reading a Selah Audio Omegarray review?
Anyone interested in reading a Selah Audio Omegarray review? [message #22144] Sat, 10 July 2004 12:08 Go to next message
Jim Holtz is currently offline  Jim Holtz
Chancellor

I recently completed building a pair of Selah Audio's Omegarray's and wondered if anyone was interested in hearing my listening impressions? If you are, I'll post it here.

Thanks!

Jim Holtz

Re: Anyone interested in reading a Selah Audio Omegarray review? [message #22145 is a reply to message #22144] Sat, 10 July 2004 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT300B is currently offline  FredT300B
Chancellor
My incredibly sweet wife has promised to buy me an Omegarray kit for my birthday in Novermber, so I would be interested.

Re: Selah Audio Omegarray review... [message #22146 is a reply to message #22145] Sat, 10 July 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I’ve been listening to my new line arrays for some time now and thought it was time to share some listening impressions. The Omegarray is Rick’s latest creation in his new “Next Level” series of speakers. It consists of (10) Aurium cantus AC-130 MKII 5” drivers and (8) Fountek JP-2 ribbons per cabinet. I also built in a Stryke AV-12 (TC Sounds) 12" sub powered by a PE 500 watt plate amp in each cabinet to fill in the bottom end.

I use these for both music and home theater so anything less than full range dynamic speakers just won’t do. My goal has been to have a pair of reference speakers that accurately reproduce a live performance as I perceive it. Here’s what I think of them…

Imaging: Any evaluation of a line array has to start with imaging. I expected a walk around image but I didn’t expect it to be so 3 dimensional. The Omegarrays create a “you are there, reach out and touch them” type image that is deep and layered. The separation of vocals and performers is amazing. The Omegarrays simply disappear and let the music come through as it was intended. Very realistic!

Detail & Dynamics: 10 low distortion drivers doing the work of one, creates spectacular dynamics and detail. The AC130’s have a Kevlar/Carbon Fiber composite cone and are very detailed without being analytical while remaining extremely smooth and musical! The JP-2’s are airy, detailed and very extended. The sound of triangles float in front of you and cymbals shimmer just the right amount. Beautiful!

Vocals: The Omegarrays have the most realistic presentation of vocals that I’ve ever heard in a speaker. When you close your eyes while listening to a good recording, you’re transported to the original presentation. I’ve heard really, really good speakers in this regard but the Omegarrays are truly the next level.

Home Theater: I had concerns about integrating a line array with a point source center channel and surrounds. I had nothing to worry about. They integrate better than point source mains. The superb imaging of an array makes surround sound even better and the Omegarrays simply disappear. Very, very nice!

Miscellaneous thoughts: The Omegarrays have 97+ db sensitivity and will play at outrageous volumes effortlessly. A 10 watt amp could easily hit THX volume levels. There just isn’t any compression to the music when you crank the volume. Also, the clarity is superb at all volume levels. The sound is uncanny in it’s realism.

Summary: I have finally found reference speakers that take me to the performance from my listening room. I’ll have these for a very, very long time. Rick told me that omega meant the end in Greek. Now I see why he named these speakers the Omegarrays. They are the end of my search for audio nirvana. I highly recommend them. If anyone is near the Midwest and would like to hear the Omegarrays, send me an email and I’ll arrange a listening session.

Jim

Yes, please! [message #22147 is a reply to message #22144] Sun, 11 July 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
...and thanks!

Re:You're welcome... :-) (nt) [message #22148 is a reply to message #22147] Sun, 11 July 2004 07:21 Go to previous message
Chancellor
no text

Previous Topic: A question about open-baffle dipole woofers
Next Topic: OB - V3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 18:58:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio