Home » Audio » Speaker » Where's the beef?
Where's the beef? [message #22107] Fri, 02 April 2004 12:25 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Arrays have got to be one of the most interesting types of loudspeakers. In fact, it shouldn't even be thought of as one "type" because there are so many, and they each do such different things. Line arrays, Bessel arrays, Cardioids, Cubes, Spheres, Hemispheres and the list goes on and on.

Dr. Jim, if you're still checking in from time to time, how 'bout giving everyone a quick introduction to the various types, what you think works best in various situations and why.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this fascinating field of study isn't more popular here. Maybe it's just the newness of this place, but I'm left thinking "where's the beef?"

Re: Where's the beef? [message #22108 is a reply to message #22107] Wed, 07 April 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Yes, they are interesting, just rather uncommon for most folks in a home setting, etc. Just beyond the bulk of the crowd, I guess, including me!!

Re: Where's the beef? [message #22109 is a reply to message #22107] Wed, 07 April 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
Looking at Jim's postings from below, seems like the line array theory would work good in larger rooms where you want things in the near field. While most of our listening rooms are smaller were already in the near field so you don't really need a line unless your having problems with floor/ceiling interactions. Bessel arrays seem cool, especially if you want to kill some people in a very very narrow coverage pattern, like Marshall guitar cabinets or Clair Bros S-4's for example even though there not bessel arrays. Cardioids seem like they'd do good in larger places where low freqs. are a problem, or you have trouble integrating bass in smaller rooms, but then you have to deal with time delays and frequency integration between front and rear woofers. Cubes can be used but you have to watch where the speakers are mounted on the cube and the frequency range your going to use them in, other wise you can run into trouble. Spheres and Hemispheres or Round speaker cabinets I read somewhere should be avoided.

Bill W.

Re: Where's the beef? [message #22110 is a reply to message #22108] Sat, 10 April 2004 23:59 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I haven't looked in here much.

Dr. Jim Griffin has his theory page on audiodiy where he's
showing his 'spires' designs.

Most recent array I've seen in the affordable experimental
range was with the ol' fave RS 40-1197: 8 on a side with
port in the middle.

audionXpress had a feature on using inexpensive car speaks
for array building some time ago.

Previous Topic: review of Sat meeting
Next Topic: More spectacular Horns