Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver
Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22020] Tue, 14 October 2008 09:21 Go to next message
kloss is currently offline  kloss
Baron
Give it a shot the nagaoka TL sounds very good the swan to me ugly as a but so didn't try. Also using SEAS exotic. Another great fullrange wake up and try;)

Re: Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22021 is a reply to message #22020] Tue, 14 October 2008 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
i am sure the fostex 138esr is a wonderful driver but rather costly

zeno

But with a good full range you get what you pay for [message #22022 is a reply to message #22021] Tue, 14 October 2008 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
And to me cheap FR are very poor sounding. The 6 1/FT TL FOR FE138ESR is quite the beast of a cabinet. If you want a pic. But if your not interested I understand. Not everyone has the cash or need for such drivers.

Re: Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22023 is a reply to message #22020] Wed, 15 October 2008 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
How accurate are the T/S parameters shown on Fostex's spec sheet? Have you measured a pair and what did you get for values? I would be interested in seeing a picture of your TL.

Martin

Re: Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22024 is a reply to message #22023] Wed, 15 October 2008 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I only tested in a OB so results not comparable. I will ask Larry or Tom at madisound to test the next pair I pick up in chamber. But in the Nagaoka TL in room 40hz usable with roll off or course, drivers good to over 20khz on axis. 92 db 1 watt. Sound is very good almost equal to the SEAS exotic. Does take a bit of time to sound its best first few days sound was good but a bit hard, bass reduced, after breakin bass came up and easy listening. Will try to post pic here if I can not one is up on the hi-eff slum under fe138esr thread. The LCY ribbons running as super tweeter, raised baffle for fe138esr,and plinth. Otherwise designs exact to nagaokas and its tippy like a big 6 1/2ft H. gravity club;) Best to use a plinth if on carpet or if you have kids, pets, open windows, strong drafts, drunks etc.

Re: Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22025 is a reply to message #22024] Wed, 15 October 2008 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks for the response. I have been looking at the FE-138ESR driver and thinking about it for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, the last couple of Fostex drivers I have used did not match the spec sheets when I measured the T/S parameters. The spec sheets used to be fairly accurate and I could buy with confidence and a design in mind. This has made me a little gun shy on springing for an expensive Fostex driver and getting something unexpected. But they definitely have my interest so I am waiting and reading the forums to see if more information becomes available.

Re: Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22026 is a reply to message #22025] Thu, 16 October 2008 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
When Fostex moved its Taiwan production to China, I noticed the drivers that where now made in China tested off. Some had quality control problems. Once Fostex sent a rep to test drivers at distributor. They rejected a few. But since I have not found any of the more costly fostex drivers to be out of spec. Sure fe126e fe166e sometimes measured off but not f200a fe208esigma t500a2 d1400 all the large woofers. If you have the time which models where off when you tested? I will mention to fostex rep next time I see him.

Re: Anyone using the Fostex fe138esr its a wonderful driver [message #22027 is a reply to message #22026] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:50 Go to previous message
Master
Right now I have four FE-126E drivers that are very consistent between each other, but way off the spec sheet. In the past I have worked with the FE-164 and the FE-208E and they were pretty good with respect to the spec sheets. This recent experience has caused me to be less inclined to trust the Fostex specs. I am now looking to design and build less expensive full range driver systems, Fostex is a perfect candidate but I am concerned about ordering something and getting unexpected results. Paying for a premium Fostex driver is not a problem for me but I am waiting to see some independent data so I know what I am buying and to scope out what type of design will work best.

Previous Topic: Vifa DQ25SC16-04
Next Topic: anyone seen these speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:45:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout