Home » Audio » General » I need to locate a custom speaker builder/company or someone to just exchange a coil for me
I need to locate a custom speaker builder/company or someone to just exchange a coil for me [message #2179] Mon, 05 September 2005 15:33 Go to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew
Chancellor
I need someone to modify a couple of speakers I have with faraday rings

this is more or less something I'm looking to do in the next couple of months not necessarily right now

I need a person... fairly easy to talk specifics with (nobody hard to reach and such) that can add compensating coils to 4 speakers...

TC sounds is the only place I know of which does this kind of work... but now that the forum dude is not working there I can't seem to get ahold of anyone

anybody know a person or know of someone with enough knowledge to swap the coil?

Re: I need to locate a custom speaker builder/company or someone to just exchange a coil for me [message #2180 is a reply to message #2179] Mon, 05 September 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Are you going to remove the magnet and modify it, adding a shorting ring? Or are you planning to work on the voice coil?

If the former, you need a machine shop. If the latter, a place that does recones can do the work for you.

Re: I need to locate a custom speaker builder/company or someone to just exchange a coil for me [message #2185 is a reply to message #2180] Mon, 05 September 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew is currently offline  Matthew
Chancellor
need to add a compensating coil to the motor

so yes work on the VC itself

I don't need to add a shortening ring... or at least I don't think I need to...

any place that does recones? for instance could RE do this?

Re: I need to locate a custom speaker builder/company or someone to just exchange a coil for me [message #2186 is a reply to message #2185] Mon, 05 September 2005 22:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Pretty much any good speaker repair and recone shop should be able to do the work for you. I've had good luck with David Miller at Speakerworks, (918) 664-6299. He does a great job with factory recone kits, but isn't limited to that. If there is no recone kit available or you want to do something special, he is pretty good at making sure it's done right, keeping the coil in the gap and making sure suspension travel is adequate, etc. So I think David would do a good job for you, but there are plenty of other capable repair shops too.

Previous Topic: Happy Labor Day!
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - San Antonio, Oct 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 24 16:44:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout