Home » Audio » Speaker » DCA 5.5M drivers initial impressions
DCA 5.5M drivers initial impressions [message #21770] Tue, 13 February 2007 20:49 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Everyone!
Well, I finally got the DCA 5.5 drivers, from Dave Merrill of D'Charles Audio. I decided to try them in the PAWA horn that earlier had the 4" DCA drivers, and that you all heard at the 2006 GPAF. Those, if you recall had to undergo serious excusrion to pump out meaningful bass. Crossed at 70 Hz with a 24 db active Xover, they sounded very nice.

I removed these & put the 5.5 M drivers in the PAWA horn (had to enlarge the hole to do it of course.
I then fired them up with a 2a3 SET amp & a modded NOS TDA154a chip Phillips Cd player.

Initial Impressions:
The 5.5M drivers are a very significant improvement over teh 4"ers. I think Dave has really made a lot of changes that were needed. Let's see, much less IM distortion of course, and they sound noticeably fatter than the 4"ers in the midbass. The plug seems to help the midbass, midrange & treble considerably.
I am listneing to them full range without a sub, and frakly, for music the bass is very adequate!
I measured them with a rat schak meter, and they seem to go down to about 70 Hz, and then drop, but honestly, they sound more like 45Hz drivers to me with music. maybe becuase it is a horn, the bass response was not measured accurately by the rat schack meter at my lsitening distance of about 15 feet.

The amazing thing is the 100 Hz to 5,000 Hz response...very very flat within +/_ 2 db in my listening position! Very nice.
The one drawback I can see is that in the 6000-10000 Hz range they seem to go up by about 10 db, which may just be that they need break in. Anyway, ther eis not much program material over 5,000 Hz, so the subjective effect is that of added air with a slight treble sheen to higher voices & instruments (exagerrated 2-3rd order harmonics maybe?). Very subtle, and really not too bad at all.

I am listening to them with the drivers almost facing straight ahead (almost no toe in), and the imaging, etc are dead on. Very clear and nice with very goodbass for music. They ar about 3 feet from the side wall and about 5 feet from the back wall in a largish room.

I'm going to keep these in the PAWA horns, and have ordered another pair from DAve as a spare.

Will keep you all posted as I listen more!
-akhilesh

Where can I find these drivers, my man? [message #21771 is a reply to message #21770] Sat, 17 February 2007 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Mahalo,

Poinz

Re: Where can I find these drivers, my man? [message #21772 is a reply to message #21771] Sat, 17 February 2007 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Aloha Charlie,
amerrill@web-ster.com
Dave Merrill has them. In very limited quantity I believe.
Hang loose
-akhilesh

Re: Where can I find these drivers, my man? [message #21775 is a reply to message #21772] Sat, 24 February 2007 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I hope you bring them to Dallas, Akhilesh. I'd like to hear the larger drivers in the PAWO.

Follow up comments on the DCA 5.5 drivers [message #21776 is a reply to message #21775] Sat, 24 February 2007 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Shane,
Unfortunately I won;t be able to get them to Dallas. But I do have some follow up comments on these.
I have now broekn them in (over 40 ours music has been played on them....mostly at night when I was asleep).

In many ways these drivers in the PAWO horn do things at a level I have not heard before in any system. Transparency, coherence, imaging, depth, instrument placemnt, focus are all amongst the best I have heard in ANY speaker system. Tone is acceptably good. Dynamic range is on the low side (compared to the usual horns I am used ot listening to) so they are best in a small room, heard at about 8 feet.

And for the first time the lack of frequency extension in a signle driver system is not bothersome to me...while most single driver systems I have heard are suitable for acoustic & jazz, and after a while the lack of low end or high end starts bothering me, these are suitable for acoustic, jazz, as well as pop & classical....only deep rap tends to not sound great (the bottom octave is kinda low on these).
Highs are great. I am listening to them about 10-15 degrees off axis.

Overall, highly highly recommended, IN THE PAWO HORN of course. I can't speak for them in any other enclosure.
-akhilesh

Here is the catch (long) [message #21777 is a reply to message #21776] Sun, 25 February 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Of course, I don;t have any commerical interest in DCA whatsoever. In fact, Dave Merrill is a friend who I respect for his single minded pursuit to bring affordable audio to beginning audiophiles. Dave belongs to that hard core band of north american single driver afficianados who know the differences between the different variants of the Rat shack/fostex 4 inchers, and who can differentiate between a zigma hornet & a PAWO horn.

I myself own and have listened to a lot of these single drivers, and usually they need bass augmentation, and in some cases a supertweeter.
OFten, they have objectionable frequnecy aberrations as well.
But the DCA 5.5 in a PAWO horn is the first setup I hav eever heard that does NOT need ANY twewakng, no passive components, no notch filter, no BFC circuit; NOTHHING in the path between the amp & the driver, and STILL sounds great without serious compromise.

AS mentioned before, I recommend this setup strongly.

Here is the catch: Dave was selling these for $90-$100 a pair (a very very reasonable price if you ask me), but he had very few initial drivers. THe PAWO horn BTW is an excellent design, available on the web, and shoould not cost more than $300 to build if you get a carpenter to build it for you. If you build it yourself, should be even less, like a $100-$150.
NO curves in this horn! GREAT WAF! Very elegant design.

I thinkd Dave's initial set of drivers is gone (fortunately I bought a spare pair!)
For example, Mark M, an audiophile buddy & owner of a mega buck audio note system, decided to buy one or two pairs of these drivers on the spot after listening to them in my house. This should reassure you that I have not lost my mind, these are indeed good!

In order for Dave Merrill to get another batch, i thnk he needs to order a few hundred from his source at least. So if you are interested, and for the money, frankly, you;d have to be crazy NOT to be intereted, I recommend you email Dave and tell him of your interest. If he gets enough emails of interest, he may be motivated to get another batch made.

Otherwise, I fear this driver will fade into legend. And we don't want that.
-akhilesh

Correction: [message #21778 is a reply to message #21777] Sun, 25 February 2007 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That should be BSC circuit, not BFC circuit.
I'm a lousy typist.

just got mine [message #21788 is a reply to message #21770] Thu, 08 March 2007 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
hi akhilesh,

i just got mine two days ago, will be trying them this weekend, i am happy to learn that the 5.5 sound better tha the dca 4"

zeno

Re: Follow up comments on the DCA 5.5 drivers [message #21853 is a reply to message #21776] Fri, 24 August 2007 14:29 Go to previous message
Wey Lee is currently offline  Wey Lee
Esquire
Where to get the plan for the PAWO horn?
Thanks

Previous Topic: Goodmans Update - Bass and Notch
Next Topic: Optical in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 12:15:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers