Home » Audio » Speaker » P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN
Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21707 is a reply to message #21704] Thu, 31 August 2006 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks to the both of you for the response. It is unquestionable that an OB is a positive design. As a point of interest many years ago there was an article in the old Audio pampphlet that described a guy tearing the back and sides off his KLH speaks and using them as OB's. Some of us tried it and were amazed. My issue is the lack of space for large horns so if you love horns but have no space then the next best thing looks to be OB.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21708 is a reply to message #21706] Thu, 31 August 2006 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I am really impressed with the Eminence drivers, those guys really know what they are doing with respect to design, manufacturing, and qualtiy control. If the Silver Iris is a customized driver, I bet it is terrific.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21709 is a reply to message #21707] Fri, 01 September 2006 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
That's pretty much how I see it. The silver Iris is both though. Horn tweeter/open baffle woofer. Neutral, uncolored, dynamic, proper weight and balance with everything i've thrown at them--from Mozart to The White Stripes to Charlie Patton. All of them better rendered than I've ever heard before at any cost. I'm sure there are better speakers out there, but I'll never know. For the first time in my history, I am happy with my sound system. Did I mention I've spent under $400.00 on everything I own that results in music reproduction--and I'm happy. I've had stereos that I have spent many thousands of dollars on(Klipsch, Dynaudio, Scan-Speak, Harmon Kardon, NAD, Sony ES, I even own an old Sansui, and many others), and all of them have done something that I could not tolerate until I bought this one. There is a part of me that wants to spend money on getting another speaker so I can have stereo sound and I sweet amp, but I'm afraid I'll mess up this thing I have now. I don't want to change a thing. I listen to my entire cd collection now. It's that good.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21710 is a reply to message #21709] Fri, 01 September 2006 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Charlie Patton was such an underated player. I think RJ took from him. Although to be fair they all did.
Your point is well taken. We all know much of this infatuation with audio has nothing to do with listening to music. Its axiomatic; if your equipment cost more than your music collection; well; that says it all. I don't pay much attention to a reveiwer unless he is a muscician; I know Dave is one and you sound knowledgeable about music so thanks for the input.
I would take a lot of things with a grain of salt; but I know this is one design that works well.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21712 is a reply to message #21710] Sun, 03 September 2006 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I do play guitar and piano, but I don't know if I would consider myself a musician. I have a lot of experience producing music though, and best I can tell these speakers do a great job of reproducing it. I even use them to play clean fingerstyle riffs through. There are probably more transparent speakers, ones with more extension in both directions, even more dynamic ones, but these just sound right. I am considering getting the updated crossover, but they only sell them by the pair and I'm already happy with them. Still, it would be interesting to hear how much the new crossovers really are an improvement. I bet HG Dave did a superb job with lots of listening tests. He's the reason I bought the speaker in the first place--and he was absolutely correct.

That might be the only regret I have with these speakers--I wish I had more! I'll probably end up getting the 10"ers in stereo then buy a nice receiver to play them through. I have nice SACD player that I only use for DVDs--what a waist! hmm

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21713 is a reply to message #21712] Sun, 03 September 2006 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Dan,

Have you tried contacting Darrel about a single XO? I'm pretty sure he'd sell you one.

Dave

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21714 is a reply to message #21713] Mon, 04 September 2006 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
No I haven't, but i bet he would. I will contact him soon.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21718 is a reply to message #21697] Wed, 20 September 2006 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
Your baffle is 22" wide, how tall and thick is it? Thanx.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21719 is a reply to message #21718] Wed, 20 September 2006 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The 22" wide bffle doesn't belong to me, but is the one I listened to at Darrel Hawthornes home. It has two inch deep braces on each side and is 36 inches tall. My own baffles are 19 inches wide with 6 inch tapered wings. 36 inches high. I am planning a baffle around 22 inches wide with no wings but will have round tubes on each side fror diffration control. It will be a bit shorter as well. Haven't decided on final height yet.
On my present baffles, I have a pair of 15 inch Augies that are biamped. These extend the bass down to a flat 30 Hz. All on the same baffle described above. No eq.

Dave

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21721 is a reply to message #21719] Thu, 21 September 2006 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
Thanx for the information. As soon as I get caught up with present projects, I plan to try this OB business myself to see what all the brew-ha-ha is about. I'm going to start with Fostex 207E's and EV 8MC's. If it starts to sound like it has posibilities, then maybe I'll start spending money. Are the "round tubes" going to be like a frame around the baffle to break up difraction?

Previous Topic: My University UC-153 drivers
Next Topic: The lazy Henry Kloss Array : )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 15:31:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio