Home » Audio » Speaker » P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN
Re: I know my input is not wanted here... [message #21684 is a reply to message #21682] Tue, 22 August 2006 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master
Dr. Linkwitz's Orion is meant to be used with his dedicated Orion analog crossover/equalizer processor which is part of his design. Thus he accounts for the low Qts of the drivers. With a processor you can EQ the drivers to achieve what you want but that takes more hardware, multiple channel amplifiers, etc. I'm assuming that Eddie wants to avoid that approach.

Re: I know my input is not wanted here... [message #21687 is a reply to message #21682] Wed, 23 August 2006 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sorry you felt compelled to assign that subject to your response, but I know how you feel. That's how I feel whenever I suggest we listen to a "budget" component at the meetings of a certain audio club:)

In response to your comment, I may be on a different branch of the right track rather than on the wrong track. As Jim points out, equalization can compensate for the bass rolloff of low QTS drivers in open baffle designs (and in sealed enclosures too), giving you the gift of extended bass response without the group delay and other disadvantages of a ported box. Good idea if you're using multiple high quality woofers, like those in the Orion, that can handle the extra power needed to drive them at low frequencies.

I was looking at some drivers in WinISD, using a 1,000 sq ft "sealed" box to mimic an open baffle. The Eminence Delta 15LF, with a .58 QTS has an F3 of about 51hz - not too bad. The Silver Iris, with its .98 QTS is an even better candidate. Its bass rolloff begins at a much lower frequency than the Delta LF, which would provide more midbass punch, and its F3 is about 35hz. So now I'm beginning to understand why hurdy gurdyman is so enthusiastic about the Silver Iris driver.

Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21688 is a reply to message #21684] Wed, 23 August 2006 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Eddie asked a queston as if sound quality mattered. On that basis I responded as I did.

It is my premise (true or not, it's mine) that despite what WinIsd might say a high Qts driver is providing the impression of extended base response by flapping in the breeze. It is not providing an accurate representation of the input signal.

As I noted in my original post (assuming that sound quality was important) if you want to go the OB route you have to be prepared to EQ and it's almost mandatory to bi-amp to get the needed degree of driver control.

OTOH, if your primary concerns are (personally) satisfying reproduction at minumum investment and not fidelity (which is a matter of personal preference) then I would agree that a high Qts driver is the way to go. But I would also contend that concerns as to how Driver A compares with prized classic Driver B should not be among your criteria for driver selection.

Re: P AUDIO - 15" DRIVER AND BAFFLE DESIGN [message #21690 is a reply to message #21676] Mon, 28 August 2006 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
The point to using low Q drivers is that they are substantially damped leading to lower distortion. What follows is that the higher freqencies of the drivers need to be rolled off so that the sound is flat. The bass below some typical value, such as 150 hz, would be reproduced by a woofer/subwoofer, which helps to reduce dopler distortion.

Retsel

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21697 is a reply to message #21688] Wed, 30 August 2006 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hate to disagree with you, but I must. I've been using the Hawthorne Silver Iris 15 OB Coaxial driver now for many months. This high Q driver sounds fantastic with no eq of any kind, driven by a modest PP tube amp (22 watts triode). The baffle need be only about 22 inchs wide, no wings needed. Bass is flat to just below 50 Hz with usable output to about 40 Hz. Mids are reproduced in a pleasing and natural fashion. It'll play loud and have lots of impact. I heard one in a much larger room than mine and the sound was as good as anything I've ever heard. Just a simple narrow baffle with the driver installed. Quick and inexpensive, one amp and no eq.

Before this, I used vintage high Q EV drivers in OB. Sounded great down to the 80 Hz baffle cut-off.

Nobody would ever call call any of these drivers slow or distorted. The sound was very good, and the cost downright cheap!

Dave

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21699 is a reply to message #21697] Wed, 30 August 2006 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I may have to try this speaker. I like the sound of that post. I was waiting to see if the sparkle wore off for you Dave; it seems not.

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21703 is a reply to message #21699] Wed, 30 August 2006 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
manualblock,

My enthusiasm is higher than ever. I visited Darrel Hawthorne and listened to his set-up. He has bigger room designed for music listening. The sound was incredible! I have never heard a better sounding home system. Everything was so natural. I'm seriously looking at ways to make a better listening enviroment at home, now. I'm also going to make a wingless baffle. The Silver Iris doesn't need the wings. The high Q drivers sound their cleanest with narrow wingless baffles.

Dave

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21704 is a reply to message #21703] Thu, 31 August 2006 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
I've owned the silver iris for 5-6 months now and it seems even more amazing than at first. It reminds me of the way classic Tannoys sound--but much cheaper! I have to worst electronics I have ever owned, but the best music reproduction I have ever had. They are warm not muddy, dynamic, and give you a sense of proper weight. I recorded a concert I recently attended, and I couldn:t believe how close the sound was to the sound I had just heard. I suspect the biggest difference was probably from the recording device. The high to low frequecy balance was perfect, the dynamics were just slightly compressed. I did have a really cheap minimicrophone and recording on minidisc. I would expect the dynamics to get compressed. I am using a cheap, chinese made guitar amp that i bought brand new for $100 for all amplification duties. My source is a sony portable cd player with a wimpy headphone amp. It just doesn't good dynamics, but this speaker is still the most dynamic I've ever owned. If you want great sound on the cheap, I suggest you try them out. Anyone can build a box for this thing. all i used was a jigsaw, lots of clamps and glue, paint, sandpaper, and clearcoat. I listen to it hours on end. no listener fatigue!

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21705 is a reply to message #21697] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Dave,

I have not heard the Silver Iris but I have now changed the woofers in my Lowther OB system to the Eminence Alpha A15 which has a Qts of about 1.2, I updated my site to reflect this yesterday. I think these Eminence drivers are very close (if not the same) to the Silver Iris 15 inch driver. The bass is as you describe, deeper and warmer compared to the lower Qts Dayton drivers I was using before and could easily support a smaller baffle. With my big baffle the bass goes very low for an OB system.

The one difference in the Silver Iris and my system is the location of the crossover point. I am rolling the Eminence drivers out at 200 Hz using a 12 dB/octave filter. Obviously the Silver Iris uses the woofer to a much higher frequency which may or may not be a concern. I will have to play with my active crossover to see how things work crossing over higher. Would you happen to know at what frequency the Silver Iris corsses to the coaxial horn tweeter? But based on my experience with the Eminence Alpha driver, I bet the Silver Iris sounds very good in a "smaller" OB at a great price point.

Martin

Re: Well, see, it's this way.... [message #21706 is a reply to message #21705] Thu, 31 August 2006 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Martin,

The SI driver has a frame like the Alpha, but everything else is different. The cone is covered in concentric rings from one edge to the other. The Qts is around 0.9. The XO point is around 2500Hz, give or take a few.

The origional speaker that Darrel Hawthorne done his experimenting with was an Alpha. The results were so good that he worked with Eminence to develop a coaxial driver with all the strong points of the Alpha but even better suited for OB coaxial use. The engineers at Eminence came up with the present Siver Iris, which seems to be a great OB speaker. Those that have the origional XO really need to get the new one to really hear what these drivers can do. The origional XO had some serious problems. It was not an Eminence design, BTW, but from an independant company.

I'm keeping my SI for a long time.

Dave

Previous Topic: My University UC-153 drivers
Next Topic: The lazy Henry Kloss Array : )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:03:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio