Home » Audio » Speaker » Why do we not include baffle height in BSC calculation?
Why do we not include baffle height in BSC calculation? [message #21624] Thu, 13 July 2006 13:53 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
In all the formulas I've seen for BSC values, only baffle width is considered? Shouldn't height and/or baffle area be part of the equation? For example, a speaker with a 8"x36" baffle would radiate lower at half space than a speaker with a 8"x12" baffle. Does this mean that if I take a 8"x36" speaker and turn it on its side, it requires a different BSC network because "width" changed from 8" to 36"?

Gar.

Re: Why do we not include baffle height in BSC calculation? [message #21625 is a reply to message #21624] Thu, 13 July 2006 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's the smallest dimension that limits the boundary condition. An infinitely long, infinitely thin baffle is no baffle at all.

Re: Why do we not include baffle height in BSC calculation? [message #21626 is a reply to message #21624] Thu, 13 July 2006 17:38 Go to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
The simple formula uses just the width as you state. I have an Excel worksheet on my site, under the General Speaker Related Articles page, that is based on this simplified approach. But as the calculations for baffle step response become more involved then the shape, size, edge conditions, and any room boundary conditions can be added into the calculation. My new MathCad worksheets take some of these additional effects into account when calculating the SPL resposne as a function of frequency. There is a sample problem provided on the Models page and a short write-up discussing the SPL response curve calculated by the new worksheets on the General Speaker Related Articles page.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Previous Topic: Ultimate Line Array ($?)
Next Topic: coaxial driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:05:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout