Home » Audio » Speaker » Tweeter or Super-tweeter
Tweeter or Super-tweeter [message #21567] Mon, 05 June 2006 12:09 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It seems everyone agrees that most fullrange drivers can benefit from top-end augmentation with a (super)tweeter. But should I be looking for a tweeter or super-tweeter?

Many postings here describe the use of dome tweeters that extend just past 20Khz as "super-tweeters". However, if these tweeters can comfortably cover as low as 2kHz, I don't really consider these to be super-tweeters. This is in comparison to true "super-tweeters" in the market that extends to beyond 40kHz, with min. XO points of 10kHz.

So in a fullrange driver application, which should I consider using?

Gar.

Re: Tweeter or Super-tweeter [message #21569 is a reply to message #21567] Mon, 05 June 2006 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a pair of Loth X Ion's that use a fullrange transmission line with a tweeter that comes in around 10k. Is that what you had in mind? Becuase that set-up has a nice balance overall; very full-range sounding but with some air on top. I think the tweeter is the typical Dynaudio.

Re: Tweeter or Super-tweeter [message #21572 is a reply to message #21567] Tue, 06 June 2006 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'd go with a dome tweeter that goes to at least 25KHz (like the VIFA units).
More important than the frewq is the material of the tweeter.
Domes match well with wde ranges in general, as opposed to some of the other super tweeters.
Horn loaded super tweeters will need to toned down. My advice is a dome.
-akhilesh

Re: Tweeter or Super-tweeter [message #21573 is a reply to message #21569] Tue, 06 June 2006 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi MB. Just want to know if I should be taking the term "super-tweeter" literally or if a regular tweeter would suffice. Some of the dedicated super-tweeters on the market are outragous in price and performance.

What about piezos for super-tweeter [message #21574 is a reply to message #21572] Tue, 06 June 2006 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Akhilesh, the problem I've found with dome tweeters is that it's hard to find one with a high enough sensitivity to match fullrange. Most domes are at 90db with a handfull in the 93db range. Ideally, I'd like to have something at least 95db.

What about the use of piezos as super-tweeter? Looking at specs, many of these units go up to 30kHz. Never considered piezos until I saw the $300 unit offered by Phy-HP.

Re: Tweeter or Super-tweeter [message #21575 is a reply to message #21573] Tue, 06 June 2006 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah thats why I thought I would offer my 2c. The Ion BS 1's have what sounds to me like plenty of air. Thats a regular dedicated tweeter not a supertweeter.
There was an article in AE a few years ago where they studied exactly how high in freq you needed to go to sound real. It dealt with much of what you are asking I think.

Re: What about piezos for super-tweeter [message #21577 is a reply to message #21574] Wed, 07 June 2006 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here is one at 93.5db:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-578

I think you'll find the 1.5 db difference will hardly be audible at higher frequencies.

But if phy-hp is selling a piezo for $300 it must be something special. IF you are spendign that kind of moneyy look at the JBL & B&C bullet supertweeters as well (of course eff is far higher).

-akhilesh

Re: What about piezos for super-tweeter [message #21580 is a reply to message #21577] Wed, 07 June 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm sure a $300 piezo UFH would be a good complement to the $1500 phy-hp fullrange, but there are other things I need to consider, like food. My budget is down at around the $25 level.

gar.

Re: What about piezos for super-tweeter [message #21581 is a reply to message #21580] Wed, 07 June 2006 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Then go with Vifa: the link I gave you.
-akhilesh

Re: What about piezos for super-tweeter [message #21585 is a reply to message #21581] Thu, 08 June 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just ordered a pair from Solen. I already have a pair of piezos from my Pi-Studio kits and Eminence APT-80 at home. Looking forward to comparing the three and reporting back.

Previous Topic: Maxxhorn
Next Topic: Need help with room placement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 23:50:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout