Home » Audio » Speaker » What's Vintage Sound?
What's Vintage Sound? [message #21539] Wed, 31 May 2006 08:54 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've heard the term tossed around a bit but not sure what it really means. Can anyone provide a description, be it technical or not?

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21541 is a reply to message #21539] Wed, 31 May 2006 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

To me, it's midrange-heavy. For "real" vintage sound, reduce the bass but make it a touch flabby, add a high Q midrange peak in there and remove the treble. I'm sure there are probably more flattering ways to say it, but when I think of a "vintage sound", that's what I think of.

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21544 is a reply to message #21539] Wed, 31 May 2006 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't know but my Altec Valencias have a nice overall presentation and they are vintage; 1967, does that qualify? One other thing; have you found anyone who can quantify the sound of a speaker technically speaking?
If by vintage you mean the sound people hear from vintage speakers; or some kind of frequency anamoly? If I think of vintage I think way back to KLH or Advent; maybe anything Henry Kloss designed? That would be considered vintage I think.

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21545 is a reply to message #21544] Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
MB, I'm of the believe that anything and everything can be quantified. The issue is, are we measuring the right things and are the measurements interpreted correctly?

Going back to vintage sound, I was looking for both quantitative and qualitative descriptions. Quantitative could be in the form of frequency extension, frequency response, sensitivity, dynamics, directivity, etc. To tell you the truth, I don't really know what I mean by vintage sound. It's a term I've heard used more than once and was interested in what it refered to.

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21546 is a reply to message #21545] Wed, 31 May 2006 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
G-Man; would that concept not in and of itself be contradictory in nature? To say we are measuring something but we are not sure if that something we measure is the right thing or is interpreted correctly? Would you not have to have some assurance that for a measurement to have meaning it must be measuring some exact quantity then assigning to that quantity a correct interpretation? Otherwise; what are we measuring? Mechanical parameters and nothing more. Thats why they remain pretty much useless as a way to qauge sound quality.

But as far as vintage sound; I have no idea either what that could mean.
Thats why I suggested some of the popular speakers of yesterday as a reliable indicator of what people might mean by that term.
Maybe if you used say an example someone offered regarding a particular speaker.
Then again it occurs to me that Klipschorns are vintage as well as Quads; and they hold up pretty good in modern terms soundwise. Nothing like the big closed box speaks of yesteryear.
So maybe what you ask is a sound that pertains to a specific design style. What was it that brought this up? You know there was a very thorough comparison in Listener magazine between two systems; one called "modern" and one "vintage". It addresses your question if I remmember correctly. They used Quads for the vintage and I believe Audio Physics for the modern.

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21548 is a reply to message #21539] Thu, 01 June 2006 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I doubt if there is one sound that could be used to represent "vintag sound". Look at big classics like Jensen Imperials, EV Patritions,EV Georgains, Centurion, EV Aristocrat, Altec VOTTs, Klipschorns, La Scalas, and Heresys all from the 50's/60's era. Then compare those to AR, Advent, Koss and Fisher air suspension speakers from the same era. Not even close to the same sound. And then there's Quad electrostatics, Bozak Concert Grand IB's, Wharfdale, Karlsons and many others, all sounding different. If anything, I'd say the vintage sound means a highly varied sound covering almost everything.

Dave

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21549 is a reply to message #21548] Thu, 01 June 2006 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think the concept of "vintage sound" is used to describe things negatively by many people. Those speakers you mention all sound very musical and enjoyable when they have new passive parts and cabinets that are tightened and braced properly. After all; 40 or 50 yrs and they still sound good even without the updating says something for those designs. But after they are calibrated they compete with most modern speakers in tonal quality. IMO.

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21550 is a reply to message #21549] Thu, 01 June 2006 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have heard almost half of these speakers at one time or another and agree that they can all sound good. Some of my favorite speakers are vintage EV fullrange drivers. I just think that no one word (or group of words) can describe such a wide variation of different sounding speakers.

They did make some great drivers and system designs back then, didn't they.

I've heard "vintage sound" being used in both complementary and degrading sentences. Guess it just depends on where you're coming from.

Dave

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21551 is a reply to message #21550] Thu, 01 June 2006 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good point Dave. I find I have to really listen and be sure of what I like. Otherwise I find myself falling into that trap of trying to like something. It's hard not to romanticise the older smoother sound of some of them; not to mention the beautifull cabinetry.

Re: What's Vintage Sound? [message #21552 is a reply to message #21541] Thu, 01 June 2006 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
doucanoe is currently offline  doucanoe
Baron
I agree with your assessment Wayne. I happen to enjoy a somewhat rolled off high end personally. The midrange is where I live but I need to have a nice low end present to complete the package. It doesn't need to be subwoofer low but present and tuneful.

Thats what I get using EV and Altec drivers. My EV 12trx's, SP15's and SP12B's give me what I would refer to as "vintage" sound. Not everyones cup of tea but it works for me.

RC

Previous Topic: ?Horn Questions?
Next Topic: Rane, Behringer and the 400 5.6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 09:01:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers