Home » Audio » Speaker » Help Wanted
Help Wanted [message #21429] Thu, 09 February 2006 06:33 Go to next message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
Hello, I'm looking for some expert advice. Jazz and acoustic music are the main fare. I have a home-brew SE 2A3 integrated amp. I also own a pair of rolled rim Loather DX3's. Because of cost, size, etc. considerations, I'm thinking of building and mounting them in BK-16 cabinets. The dimensions are close to Loather recommended Bicor 200 cabinets. Does anyone have a horn program and could tell me what kind of response could I expect from this combo? What construction tweaks or pitfalls should I do or avoid? I know the mounting hole size has to be icreased. Thanx in advance.

Re: Help Wanted [message #21430 is a reply to message #21429] Thu, 09 February 2006 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My estimate is yo uwill get 80HZ plus with the box. Realistically speaking.
-akhilesh

Re: Help Wanted [message #21431 is a reply to message #21430] Thu, 09 February 2006 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanx much! I can either go with the BK-16's or a pair of MDF Fidelios in "OK" shape. Most of the strings I read say the DX3's are hard pressed to reproduce any real bass, so I was thinking of maybe adding some kind of single woofer system later. All opinions are welcome.

Re: Help Wanted [message #21432 is a reply to message #21431] Thu, 09 February 2006 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, i'd say you would need a sub for sure.
THe main advantage to using a horn like the BK-16 or fidelio would be that ytou could use a 12 db crossover with the sub, and still cross it over at 80-90 Hz. That MAY lead to better blending/imaging.
Other than that, heck, just go with a BR box is what I say, tuned to say 70 HZ, and nicely underdamped.
-akhilesh

Re: Help Wanted [message #21433 is a reply to message #21432] Fri, 10 February 2006 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I currently have them mounted in some well-made 1.5 cu ft TL cabinets and, much to everyone's surprise, they do quite nicely. I've tried experimenting with different port sizes using an old Bass Box program. There isn't as much mid-bass impact as I'd like. I was hoping back-horn loading them would help. Most of the horn cabinets I've seen are huge, complicated to build, or expensive.

Re: Help Wanted [message #21434 is a reply to message #21433] Fri, 10 February 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
try crossing them with a sub at around 90 hz BEFORE you invest in a horn. You may find that that will give you all the bass you need.
-akhilesh

Re: Help Wanted [message #21435 is a reply to message #21429] Fri, 10 February 2006 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
I have the same drivers in a Martin King BR cabinet and have had several "locals" over to hear them on my custom (abraxus audio) 2A3 amp--but I will make the same comment Bob made in reference that I play jazz and female vocals and get pretty nice bass--to the point I don't feel the need for a sub---also, if the drivers are new break end on Lowthers is lengthy--- and you may try another angle Bob told me about---peel off the back cover and you will find post that change the driver to a DX2 ---pretty that is what Bob said---ask him to go into the diffs of the two models JD

DX2 vs EX2 [message #21436 is a reply to message #21435] Sat, 11 February 2006 11:29 Go to previous message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
As far as I can tell, the DXx and the EXx are electrically and mechanically identical. The only difference is that the EXx has a die-cast basket on the back of the driver. It completely covers the back of the cone and has a bunch of 1/2"-3/4" holes in the perimeter. There is a layer of air-conditional filter foam on the inside of the basket. The basket is glued on with silicon sealant and is easily removed, although this voids your warranty. When you remove the EX basket, you will find a normal DX frame, complete with binding posts. The only thing that you will be missing is a cosmetic cover for the magnet. You will also be surprised at how ridiculously small a neodymium magnet is compared to a ceramic magnet.

The theory is that the EX basket reduces reflections from the rear of the speaker cabinet from getting back into the cone. Maybe so. Perhaps this is effective in horn cabinets. However, when using an EX in a resonant cabinet, I find that the basket prevents the driver from loading the cabinet properly. A DX driver works much better in a resonant cabinet, and you save $150 to boot.

Bob

Previous Topic: Active Crossover Question
Next Topic: Full range drivers in line array?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:33:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio