Home » Audio » Speaker » best driver for voigt pipes
best driver for voigt pipes [message #21370] Wed, 14 December 2005 06:00 Go to next message
buboy sarte is currently offline  buboy sarte
Esquire
Dear Mr Brines,

i am a newbie in hi-fi and am currently searching for the best, if not, perfect full range drivers for my Voigts.

i live in the Philippines, an infant member of the Wired State Audio community and possess an excellent pair of enclosures that were invented by
a Filipino by the name of Ike Tuazon. i own a pair of his backloaded 12ft folded horns that are 6ft in height. I'm very happy with it even with a pair of Radio Shack 6 inch full range drivers installed in them.

many who know of "Ike's Voigts" believe that the best driver for these monsters is the now-discontinued RS 1354a. i've searched high and low for them to know avail. i suspect that there is a full ranger driver out there that can rival, if not, surpass the 1354a as the ultimate partner for my Voigts. i've researched in the net and here
are a few items w/c i feel can compliment my horns:

Visaton B200
Fostex 126
Lowther drivers
Tesla drivers

if it's not too much to ask, what is the best driver that you can recommend to me for my Ikes Voigts? i must however say that i can only afford drivers in the US$ 100 - 200 range.

thank you and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Sincerely,

kabubi

Clarification? [message #21371 is a reply to message #21370] Wed, 14 December 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"a Filipino by the name of Ike Tuazon. i own a pair of his backloaded 12ft folded horns that are 6ft in height. I'm very happy with it even with a pair of Radio Shack 6 inch full range drivers installed in them.
many who know of "Ike's Voigts" believe that the best driver for these monsters is the now-discontinued RS 1354a."

Is it a folded Voigt Pipe, or a backloaded horn? They are not the same, as you know. Clarifying this may help you get better answers to your query.
-akhilesh

Re: best driver for voigt pipes [message #21372 is a reply to message #21370] Wed, 14 December 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
I believe that Ike's pipes are a variation of Terry Cain's "Bigger is Better" design. If so, there has been a long thread at diyAudio Forums - Full Range. This is not a "Voigt Pipe", it is a folded back horn. I have problems with this design, but apparently it works well when placed against a wall, or better, when placed in a corner. Of your driver choices, the B200 is only suitable for open baffle applications. The FE126E might work, but the FE127E is a better choice. The Lowther D55 might work, but it is way out of your price range. I know nothing about the Tesla drivers.

Do yourself a favor. Get a pair of FE167E's and put them in a proper MLTL. You will be happy with the result. The total cost of this DIY project is $200-300US, depending on the finish you apply, for parts purchased in the US. Talk to "Vintage_Dog".

Bob

Re: Clarification? [message #21373 is a reply to message #21371] Wed, 14 December 2005 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kabubi is currently offline  kabubi
Esquire
thanks for the reply, sir.

Bob Brines also replied to my query. he clarified that it is a FOLDED BACK HORN, not a voigt pipe.

looking forward to your reply.

Merry Christmas!

buboy

Re: best driver for voigt pipes [message #21374 is a reply to message #21372] Wed, 14 December 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kabubi is currently offline  kabubi
Esquire
thank you very much for the reply, Mr Brines.

it is very humbling when a person of your stature shares advise with a newbie like yours truly.

btw, what does "MLTL" mean?

kabubi

Re: best driver for voigt pipes [message #21375 is a reply to message #21374] Wed, 14 December 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Mass Loaded Transmission Line. A relatively short, straight pipe with a relatively small port.

Bob

Re: best driver for voigt pipes [message #21378 is a reply to message #21372] Thu, 15 December 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

Hmm, TC's speaker is one of Voigt's pipe designs shown in his patent, ergo is what I consider a 'Voigt pipe' to be, so are you saying it's not like the seemingly mislabeled LCofN's mass loaded variant?

Even then, I guess one could argue that this variant is one also since his tapered design was meant to be either terminated into a corner to finish the horn's expansion or floor loaded to slot (mass) load it..............

GM

Re: best driver for voigt pipes [message #21381 is a reply to message #21378] Thu, 15 December 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
>>Hmm, TC's speaker is one of Voigt's pipe designs shown in his patent, ergo is what I consider a 'Voigt pipe' to be, so are you saying it's not like the seemingly mislabeled LCofN's mass loaded variant?

I guess that I will have to read the text of Voigt's patent again, but I don't see either the B-is-B or the LCN pipe matching the figures. But, then they could be easily considered correlaries of one or more of the figures.

The terminalogy used today fits neither the physics or the history of pipe design. I guess this is my main point. Voigt pipes, MLTL's, TL's, TQWT's, back horn, corner horn, you get the picture.

I agree with you (agreeing with me?) that the B-is-B is a corner loaded back horn. As such it works completely different from the LCN TQWT. So, I can't consider them the same or correlaries of each other.

Anyway, keep me straight!

Bob

Re: best driver for voigt pipes [message #21393 is a reply to message #21381] Sat, 17 December 2005 11:01 Go to previous message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
>I guess that I will have to read the text of Voigt's patent again, but I don't see either the B-is-B or the LCN pipe matching the figures. But, then they could be easily considered correlaries of one or more of the figures.

=====

Greets!

No, not per se since the written portion just gives an example, not a 'carved in stone' design like some folks have interpreted it, with the drawings indicating the various concepts not covered in the various Bell Labs/W.E. patents.

=====

>The terminalogy used today fits neither the physics or the history of pipe design. I guess this is my main point. Voigt pipes, MLTL's, TL's, TQWT's, back horn, corner horn, you get the picture.

=====

Well, the physics hasn't changed, not sure what you mean WRT history, and for sure the nomenclature has changed over time. ML-TLs, multiple resonant cavity (BP) designs were lumped in with 'reflex', Voigt pipes/any flavor of TL were lumped together as 'Acoustic Labryrinths', and anything that had a positive expansion was a horn regardless of whether it had a reduced exit (vent) or not.

=====

>I agree with you (agreeing with me?) that the B-is-B is a corner loaded back horn. As such it works completely different from the LCN TQWT. So, I can't consider them the same or correlaries of each other.

Anyway, keep me straight!

Bob

=====

Right, though located as shown in his write-up it's just a folded BLH since it's too far from the corners/ceiling for proper loading, though my SWAG is they're close enough for some down around Fc.

GM

Previous Topic: needles type array or full tweeter line array
Next Topic: folded voight pipes???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:10:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers