Home » Audio » Speaker » CSS FR125s project webpage
CSS FR125s project webpage [message #21202] Thu, 11 August 2005 06:23 Go to next message
theNoid is currently offline  theNoid
Baron
Ok, so these aren't finished yet as I want to get the TL design before I mess with final finishes. But anyhow, check out the link here for my thoughts on this great little driver from Bob at CSS.

http://www.palmbayaudio.com/theNoid.html

Noidster

Re: CSS FR125s project webpage [message #21210 is a reply to message #21202] Thu, 11 August 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So which speakers did you use to compare these with? What are some of the drawbacks? What kind of music sounds best and what kind sounds worst? How do they stack up against good horn loaded two ways?
You have a lot of experience with them; how do they work with low powered tubes? What were you using prior to these?

Re: CSS FR125s project webpage [message #21216 is a reply to message #21210] Thu, 11 August 2005 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theNoid is currently offline  theNoid
Baron
So far have only had a chance of direct comparisons with my old Kenwood dual-8" 3-way towers whcich have been rebuilt and modded slightly, and my little Tang Band 871 project.

As far as drawbacks are concerned, in my situations and for my preferences, there aren't any really. Well, ok, maybe the fact that I need to switch over to my Kenwoods for some SERIOUS cranking when partying and cleaning house and such. But then again, I accept reality and would never expect a 5" speaker to deliver the house shaking that I call for in such situations, so it's not really a drawback for me.

I have listened to everything from electric blues, acoustic blues, classic rock, heavy metal, Blue Man Group, country, and bluegrass on them and I have yet to find a genre of music that "sounds worst" on them..ok, maybe some of the old school rap cd's I have but then again, I would never expect a 5" driver to deliver what I want in such situations.

I am sorry but I have yet to hear a horn-loaded two-way that really impressed me. Then again, I can't recall ever hearing a real horn-loaded two-way at all....HA!!! What do you conder a good one and I will do my best to try and get an audition, maybe a side by side comparison and then give me opinion of that situation.

I don't have any low-powered tube amps here sorry. I am just getting into the tube stuff so give me a couple of months and I will be abel to tell you. For that matter, there should be at least one low-powered tuber at the DIY2005 Orlando event so I will throw them on it and get a few different folks opinions on it for ya.

Prior to these, I was listening primarily to my Kenwoods, but always swithcing in and out with other DIY speakers as they were being built and given away.

As mentioned, I will have them at the DIY2005 Orlando event and will get many different folk's opinions and thoughts on them. That will be Sept. 3rd, so please be patient and I will post all the info after that.

Noidster

Re: CSS FR125s project webpage [message #21222 is a reply to message #21216] Fri, 12 August 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The best two-way horn-loaded speaker within reason is the Pi Theater 4's. I will say you might just be a little surprised. There are more expensive Pi Speakers and of course many other brands but that one is a good place to start.

Re: CSS FR125s project webpage [message #21230 is a reply to message #21222] Mon, 15 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
i agree that the Pi Theater 4 is a right one to start, i been using them for 5 years now with a 1.5 watts darling DC amp

Previous Topic: directivity
Next Topic: Whats the diffrents? In these driver units?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:38:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio