Home » Audio » Speaker » Looking for a single driver?
Looking for a single driver? [message #21213] Thu, 11 August 2005 14:32 Go to next message
djm is currently offline  djm
Chancellor
Hi I am looking for a single driver. I would like to get one

with out the wizzer cone. I just bought a pair of the fostex 206 fe

and sold them to much midband for me and to bright to. I am looking

for a single driving unit about 6 1/2 inch to 4 1/2 ichs. Please

if you can help or tell me of a brand please let me know. Thanks jm

Re: Looking for a single driver? [message #21221 is a reply to message #21213] Fri, 12 August 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You probably didn't give the 206fe a fair chance. This is an excellent driver. A simple compensation circuit would have tamed the nasty peak.

Dave

Re: Looking for a single driver? [message #21225 is a reply to message #21221] Sat, 13 August 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doorman is currently offline  doorman
Esquire
Also, as noted elsewhere, Fostex's (among others) take a very long time to settle in. Perhaps another try?

Jordan or coral [message #21226 is a reply to message #21213] Sun, 14 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
i think u will love them, with the price and performance

zeno

Re: Jordan or coral [message #21228 is a reply to message #21226] Sun, 14 August 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djm is currently offline  djm
Chancellor
Hi I just went to the single driver web site. They said that the

Coral driver have been out of production for a long time now. Where

would I get the Coral beta 8 fullrange driver? That is the one I am

really looking. I would Like a u.s. dealer if possable. Thanks jm

Re: Jordan or coral [message #21229 is a reply to message #21228] Sun, 14 August 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Why not try a Lowther driver. The lowest cost PM6C is a great driver, in my experience still a cut above the Fostex drivers. I have been listening to the PM6C in my ML TL for the past couple of months and it is really very balanced and sounds extremely good.

Martin

But will it play Metal? [message #21234 is a reply to message #21229] Tue, 16 August 2005 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Sorry, I just could not help myself. But the question is valid. If so, excellent, if not, any guess as to why?
Ed

Re: But will it play Metal? [message #21235 is a reply to message #21234] Tue, 16 August 2005 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Ed,

I don't see why they would not play "metal". The speakers can play very loud, louder then I ever push them with my with 200 watt amp. I have on occasion cranked up jazz and classical to uncomfortable levels for my own enjoyment/entertainment or at the request of visitors. Seems to play well, bass is strong and tight but not earth shaking. No idea what SPL that would equate to, if the speakers were pushed back into the corners I am sure it would be even louder. I am afraid that 100+ dB of Metallica is not something I strive for or have been requested to reproduce.

Sorry,

Martin

Re: But will it play Metal? [message #21236 is a reply to message #21235] Tue, 16 August 2005 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Martin,
You are a good sport and I hope you knew I was "teasing you". Kidding aside, I actually don't listen to much Metallica......but when I do it must be loud! That goes for any music that should be played loud. Veruca Salt at 80 dB just doesn't cut it, Neither does Suzie Q. at 80 dB. Norah, Allison ? Well, no need to have them scream at you, 80 is fine. I figure any "real" Hi Fi should be able to play "real music" at 100 dB peaks, at the listening spot, as measured by a typical SPL meter.

I would not think you would want your speakers in corners since they were not designed to take them (corners) into account in the overall response you were trying to achieve. I have not found "corner placement" to be a "good thing" unless the speaker was designed to use them and it's overall response was "tailored" for use in corners.

Just for kicks....in a BR the woofer cones are at minimum excursion at port tuning (a good thing)......or so I thought. What happens below port resonance? Does not the driver become "under damped" and "kind of flop around" (a very bad thing for a single driver speaker)? And if the content you are listening to has significant output below port tuning (common) wouldn't that cause excessive excursion and maybe even limit SPL (due to audible distortion) in a single driver speaker? Is my understanding of this wrong?

Ed

Re: But will it play Metal? [message #21237 is a reply to message #21236] Wed, 17 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Ed,

"You are a good sport and I hope you knew I was "teasing you"."

With you Ed, one is never sure. But I suspected that was the case.

"Just for kicks....in a BR the woofer cones are at minimum excursion at port tuning (a good thing)......or so I thought. What happens below port resonance? Does not the driver become "under damped" and "kind of flop around" (a very bad thing for a single driver speaker)? And if the content you are listening to has significant output below port tuning (common) wouldn't that cause excessive excursion and maybe even limit SPL (due to audible distortion) in a single driver speaker? Is my understanding of this wrong?"

You are correct. I once bottomed a 10" Focal woofer in a BR playing the 1812 cannon shots. I made it to the volume control before any real damage was done.

If you think about it, a BR unloads the driver below resonance because it is acting like an open backed speaker. A TL or ML TL does the same thing, although having stuffing helps a little to damp any ringing. But if you think a little harder, you will also recognize that a BLH has the same problem as a BR at very low frequencies. A BLH does not prevent unloading the driver below the line's first resonance.

The jazz I listen to does not have much bass content below 40 Hz so I really don't have too many concerns about my drivers in ML TL enclosures going unstable. Since we did a way with turntable rumble (much better turntable and CD players) I have not seen BR enclosures unload very often, at least in my system.

Martin

Previous Topic: Shorting rings - Improve something else besides 2HD and Le?
Next Topic: Fitting JVC FS-G5 (160watt) speakers to Yamaha HTR-5839 receiver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 22:16:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout