Home » Audio » Speaker » A little article about a BLH....why go to the trouble.....
Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21209 is a reply to message #21208] Thu, 11 August 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't know, Wayne. I tried putting some three way Cerwin-Vegas in the corners once. The bass output was so heavy I could hardly hear the music. The bass was certainly higher in level than when out in the room, but unlistenable in the corners. Of course, the bass was just barely acceptable out in the room. These weren't the best damped speakers I'd ever owned.
My Klipsch Heresy's sounded much better and more balanced in the corners than out in the room. I'd suspect that a speaker that is well balanced out in the room just plain has a bit much bass in the corners, so the extra bass gain of corner loading is not a good thing for them. However, if the speaker is designed for corner loading, that's different. I guess any design that has taken corner loading into consideration in it's design would benefit from it. I liked it. Too bad my OB's seem to like out in room better. It would be much more convenient to have them in the corners.

I've probably rambled and got off topic enough.

Later,

Dave

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21215 is a reply to message #21209] Thu, 11 August 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, corner placement provides eight-space loading only up to the point where the distance to the room boundaries are a 1/4 wavelength. After that, the placement transitions to baffle loading only, making a 6dB drop. For frequencies above this point, the walls and floor act as reflectors instead of launch boundaries, so unless the midrange and tweeter are horn loaded, they'll be a source of early reflections.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21231 is a reply to message #21206] Tue, 16 August 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
I agree that there are similarities in that all have vents which improve efficiency. But no transmission line or reflex box can have the efficiency improvement of a back horn because they don't have an "expansion," at least no transmission line nor reflex box I have ever seen. If you want to stay stuck in the same interpretation, fine. But the "semantics" you refer to do result in a real efficiency improvement. Are the efficiency improvements huge, NO. But there is an efficiency improvement.

There is also increased dynamics inherent in the characteristics of horns. Again, if you choose to ignore this, this is your choice, but it is there.

For these reasons, if I am going to put my Lowther DX4s into a box, it will be a back horn, not a reflex box, which Lowther owners say suck, nor transmission lines, which are a step above reflex boxes, but still not as good a match.

Retsel

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21232 is a reply to message #21231] Tue, 16 August 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The thing that makes the difference is the mouth area. If it's not very large, then the device acts more like a tuned pipe than a horn. So there's a lot of overlap in physical and acoustic characteristics between tapered pipes and horns.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21233 is a reply to message #21231] Tue, 16 August 2005 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
I agree with Wayne's interpretation of transmission lines and horns. Most back loaded horn designs start out in the low frequencies as transmission lines and transition to horns as frequency increases. If you calculate the cross-sectional area of the mouth of your horn, double it for the floor reinforcement, and then calculate the cut-off frequency I bet you will find it is in the hundreds of Hz range. The bass below this frequency is due to transmission line standing waves not horn action. If you supply your horn mouth's physical dimensions I will do the calculation by return post and we can see what the results show.

You also wrote :

"For these reasons, if I am going to put my Lowther DX4s into a box, it will be a back horn, not a reflex box, which Lowther owners say suck, nor transmission lines, which are a step above reflex boxes, but still not as good a match."

I own seven pairs of Lowther drivers, including a pair of DX4's, and find they perform very well in TL and ML TL style enclosures. So this Lowther owner definitely does not feel that this design option "sucks". It is one compromise that can be considered for Lowther drivers. I also use 200 watts of SS power and can report that does not "suck" either.

Martin

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21240 is a reply to message #21233] Thu, 18 August 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I measured the size of the opening of the backhorn opening of my Hedlund Horns to be 27.25 inches x 9 inches. I entered the opening into my spreadsheet for calculating horn performance (assuming 1/4 space performance) and I found that it corresponds to a cut off frequency of 86 hz. This is consistent with the roll-off frequency of the Hedlund Horns which I have seen in plots sent to me (I never have measured the frequency myself). Thus, this suggests that the Hedlund Horn is a true horn and not a transmission line as you suspected. I believe that Jan Hedlund designed them with a Tactrix flair.

If you reread my post you will see that I did not say that transmission line speakers suck. I did said that reflex boxes suck. I own a pair of transmission line speakers. They are the premier speakers made by Irving "Bud" Fried. They were originally sold with the name of C3Ls and then when he upgraded the speaker drivers and crossovers, he renamed the satelites as C5s (as part of his Vahalla system which sold for $10,000 in the 80s). I upgraded to the C5s. They are very excellent speakers. It is just that the Hedlund Horns are better, as they start with better quality drivers. Bud did say that the woofers in those speakers are higher Q drivers.

I am sure that the Lowther DX4s are excellent in transmission lines. I bet that you could duct tape a pair to the wall and if coupled with a suitable crossover, they would have respectable sound in that application too. But the point being made by this string of posts is that back horns are the best way to get the most efficiency and dynamics from full range speakers. My experience has confirmed this with Lowther DX4s and particularly so since they have such a low Q.

Transmission line speakers probably have a higher WAF then back horns, and you could sell them on that basis, but I doubt that transmission lines will have the dynamics and efficiency of back horns. They may not be different by a lot, but side by side, they would be a notch lower. My question to you is when you put a pair of Lowther DX4s into transmission lines, do you need to pad down the upper frequencies, or is the frequency response relatively flat (I doubt that Lowthers are "flat" in backhorns, but they are so when averaging over the frequency response and they sure sound great without crossover components in the signal path)?

Retsel

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21241 is a reply to message #21240] Thu, 18 August 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think the real measure of a horn is the impedance plot. If it is smooth and resistive, it is acting as a horn. If it is peaky and reactive, it is acting more like a tuned pipe. Cutoff frequency has very little to do with it, except that a higher cutoff frequency can be supported with a smaller mouth.

Can't agree with you on bass-reflex either. To say bass-reflex sucks is like saying LC oscillators suck. They do just fine when tuned right and used in the right situation. I don't think I'd want a bass-reflex midrange or tweeter and I don't think I'd want a highly underdamped bass-reflex woofer either. But I think bass-reflex is perfect for high efficiency woofers where low extension and relatively small cabinet size is required.

I think that back-loaded horns are a great idea for single driver speakers. But the thing I think is very important to make clear, is that size matters. If a backloaded horn is small, it acts very similarly to a transmission line. This can be seen in both the impedance plot and the frequency response. This also affects excursion, which limits maximum SPL on a single driver speaker.

Where efficiency is concerned, backhorn loudspeakers generate midrange and treble from direct radiation, so that sets the limit. You would not want to build a horn that raised the bottom octaves above that of the midrange, so the average SPL of the driver itself is the average SPL of a good single driver loudspeaker. Speaker voicing is a different matter entirely.

I understand what you and others are saying, that you would rather use the backhorn as an acoustic filter, to use it instead of a electrical network. But I've heard some very fine transmission line speakers that needed no electrical filter, so I consider the two issues separately. I've also heard some very nice bass-reflex single driver speakers that needed no electrical filter. So I would ask you to understand why I would suggest that the issue of electrical filters be separated from the rest of the discussion, and just look at the similarities and differences of the acoustic chambers themselves.

Lastly, consider the amp driving these speakers. The electrical impedance becomes very important on amps with high output impedance. Loudspeaker impedance peaks cause response peaks when used with tube amps, the "First Watt" Pass Amp and others that act like constant current sources. Look at the impedance charts of all these loudspeakers in question and you'll see that some are more friendly than others in that situation. A moderate peak or two is much better than several notches, so it is important to the overall sound quality to pay attention to that when used with current sources. This is overlooked by many people, and ironically, it is probably more important than anything else when using some amps.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21242 is a reply to message #21241] Thu, 18 August 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
If I remember right, the Hedlund Horn is a tatrix expansion, which is a true horn. It may be peakier than an exponential expansion, but it is a horn.

My question again to Martin is does his transmission designs allow forgoing all crossover components because the bass boost brings up the bass to match the high frequencies, and is the tipped up response smoothed out? That is the magic of a well designed back horn.

I have never had a reflex bass cabinet. I have heard some say that the design is flawed. I am heard from so many that the bass reflex design sucks for Lowhters, so I am convinced of that.

Retsel

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21243 is a reply to message #21242] Thu, 18 August 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The thing that makes a horn act like a tuned pipe is its size, not its profile. It doesn't matter if the profile is tractrix, exponential, conical or whatever. The thing that can make it act like a tuned pipe is related to mouth size.

And again, bass-reflex cabinets are like LC circuits. There is nothing flawed with them. There are a lot of people spouting nonsense on the internet, and I would suggest to you that comments about reflex designs being flawed are the remarks of a person that doesn't know what they are talking about. It's kind of sophomoric really, like a sticker on the back of a Camaro that has a kid pissing on a Ford logo.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21244 is a reply to message #21242] Thu, 18 August 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
"I have never had a reflex bass cabinet. I have heard some say that the design is flawed. I am heard from so many that the bass reflex design sucks for Lowhters, so I am convinced of that."

Based on what others say you are already convinced. Based on that, I see no real reason to continue the discussion.

Martin

Previous Topic: Array with Aurum G1 and Extremis?
Next Topic: Bass horn pic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:26:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout