Home » Audio » Speaker » A little article about a BLH....why go to the trouble.....
Re: Hurt me; hurt me! [message #21196 is a reply to message #21194] Mon, 08 August 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Poindexter,

Could you email me, please.

Thanks,

Bob

You have mail, Bob. [message #21197 is a reply to message #21196] Mon, 08 August 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21199 is a reply to message #21187] Wed, 10 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
This is not my experience comparing my Lowther DX4s in Hedlund Horns versus Open Baffles. In Hedlund horns, the DX4s have an average efficiency of over 100 db (I think 101 db).

In Open Baffles, I think that Dick Olsher claims an efficiency for the DX4s of something like 98 db. In open baffles, I use a single inductor as a first order filter to roll off the high frequencies from 500 hz and above. I then have a fairly flat frequency response from 150 hz to the high frequencies (~10 khz).

In Hedlund Horns, the DX4s are flat all by themselves (no filter needed) from 70 hz to the high frequencies (~10 khz). Thus there are no losses in inductors, and I can get down lower.

Retsel

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21201 is a reply to message #21199] Thu, 11 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A backhorn is primarily internded to bring up the bass level to match that of the midband. Output from the front is direct radiation, so no efficiency increase or directivity gain is possible.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21203 is a reply to message #21201] Thu, 11 August 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
Except that your post is contradictory. Bringing up the bass IS efficiency increase (more sound and wider frequency response with the same watts).

Rather than increase the efficiency of the upper registers, the BLHs don't use crossover components which REDUCE efficiency in other designs.

This is why BLHs are more efficient.

Retsel

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21204 is a reply to message #21203] Thu, 11 August 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Output from the front is direct radiation, so no efficiency increase or directivity gain is possible." There is no horn loading for output from the front, which is where most of audio band comes from.

No point in arguing semantics. The fact is that average sensitivity isn't increased. I'm not advocating any particular design, but I am saying that I think a physically small basshorn acts very similarly to a transmission line, and that they both act like tuned pipes.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21205 is a reply to message #21204] Thu, 11 August 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think I know what the mis-understanding is here. In a BLH design the bass is brought up to match nicely with the mid-treble response. In a typical box design, the bass isn't brought up as much. In order to get a measurably flat response, some sort of compensation circuit is frequently applied to bring the mid-highs down to the level of this bass. This causes a drop in the direct radiators output. The driver itself hasn't changed in anyway, only the signal going to it.

At least, that's what I think this conversation is about.
Dave

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21206 is a reply to message #21205] Thu, 11 August 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think your assessment is correct. But I also think it's important to look closely at this, because small basshorns are the same thing as tapered pipes in all but name. Bass-reflex speakers provide augmented bass output too. So to talk about the differences, one must first look at the similarities. There's a huge amount of overlap in each of these designs.

Each will have Helmholtz resonance, determined by the dimensions of the exit hole and the volume of the cabinet. Helmholtz resonance is normally associated with bass-reflex speakers, but it is just a physical property that happens when you have a chamber with a hole in it. There will also be standing wave modes, determined by cabinet dimensions, component placement and geometry. And there may be some horn action, depending on flare rate and environment, like corner loading. So there will be each of these properties, whether the speaker is called a reflex system, horn or transmission line. The overlap of each of these makes them more similar than different.

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21207 is a reply to message #21206] Thu, 11 August 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,

When I was referring to BLH, I was talking about a horn loaded rear wave that should be corner loaded to get any real extension. These tend to have greater bass output. I realise that the short small opening horn typically found on BLH's and almost all FLH's that are designed to be placed farther into the room (typical "audiophile" regulations ) aren't really any more efficient in the bass than any other type of box. I do find the actual sound to be typically a bit different, though, so I suspect there's something going on that makes a difference between the different type of bass boxes, but don't ask me what, as I'm not any kind of engineer. I just listen. Maybe I haven't listened to enough variety yet. I'm always open to people sending me (or stopping by with) different speakers so I can broaden my experience.

Dave

Re: Horns, transmission lines and reflex cabinets [message #21208 is a reply to message #21207] Thu, 11 August 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, yeah, but you can corner load anything and expect 9dB over freespace. It's 3dB to 6dB more output than what you'd expect other places in the room. I really like that arrangement, so I'm not discounting it at all. I'm just saying that there probably should be no dissention between the backhorn and tapered pipe enthusiasts, because they're so similar.

Previous Topic: Array with Aurum G1 and Extremis?
Next Topic: Bass horn pic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 21:48:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout