Home » Audio » Speaker » Can single driver speaker rock?
Re: Hey Dave, what made you pick the EV speakers? [message #21070 is a reply to message #21069] Thu, 14 July 2005 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I already had it. I've used it for several years as mains for my small folk/celtic band, as well as solo gigs. I guess it never occured to me to try it as a home stereo speaker before. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works, and how flat it measures as well.

Dave

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21071 is a reply to message #21068] Thu, 14 July 2005 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds good; that would explain the desireability of those old JBL 300hz horns. Altec also. Do you get an honest 50hz out of the horns?

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21072 is a reply to message #21071] Fri, 15 July 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Sure do, but a horn responds differently to different rooms. Corner loading will bring the HF response down to a slightly lower frequency and give more LF response.
Ok the best would be a FH/BH combo but in many cases a FH rolls off the HF response , so you add a tweet,ribbon (if it can keep up in SPL) or a HF horn. So lets step back and see what we have. Its more or less a 3 way system now that has high directive mids from the FH.
ron

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21073 is a reply to message #21072] Fri, 15 July 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats what I am curious about. Can you hear the xover points to the extent that it becomes obvious with this 3 way set-up?

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21074 is a reply to message #21073] Sat, 16 July 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
All depends( in my case) where the XO points are. Still better to bi-tri amp IMHO and avoid passive. I once heard a set of the big K horns tri amped and they were mind blowing.
ron

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21076 is a reply to message #21059] Sun, 17 July 2005 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
I have rocked to my Coral Beta 8 in BLH plus subs and supertweeters, but true, they become a bit strained at high volumes.

On the other hand Lowther PM2A´s in 200hz tractrix fronthorns with a 15" sealed woofer can really rock.

This setup plays everything from Metallica to Ben Webster.

I wonder if the muddying goes on in the lower midrange, which would explain why the fronthorns doesn´t sound strained, or if it´s just the great efficiency that´s the key.

Right now I´m building the 7Pi´s, looking forward to big open dynamic sound from an all horn loaded speaker.

And putting the fullrangers in another room for more delicate listening.

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21079 is a reply to message #21076] Thu, 21 July 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rafalc is currently offline  rafalc
Esquire
Kim,

I am also running Lowther/Coral Beta 8 in 200hz Azura horns.

Could you please provide more information on the 15" sealed woofer you use in your setup. I am trying to find bass solution for my setup which will integrate well with the horn.

Rafal

Re: Can single driver speaker rock? [message #21080 is a reply to message #21079] Thu, 21 July 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Hi Rafal.

I used a cheap 15" woofer in a 85litre sealed cabinet, but I had to use a lot of eq to make it go down low.

You can proberly find a 15" that would work a lot better and go lower in a reasonable size cabinet.

I´m gonna build Wayne´s 7Pi and try to use that bass cabinet with the fronthorns.

Regards
Kim

Can't stand it any longer... [message #21103 is a reply to message #21065] Thu, 28 July 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I went and dug out my EV LS-12 open-baffles and are listening to them again. Ahhh... :) Using a 12" Cerwin-Vega 124D driver in BR box for below 80 Hz, and a top firing piezo, I'm enjoying a big sound with a big sounstage. Very open, and yes, it ROCKS. Sounds good on small scale music as well. It's not to shabby for a late 50's speaker.

Dave

Re: Can't stand it any longer... [message #21107 is a reply to message #21103] Thu, 28 July 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Any chance you can make it to GPAF next year? With a long lead time, you could probably make travel arrangements pretty cheap. I'd really like to see you and those hurdy gurdies of yours, speakers too if you can bring 'em!

Previous Topic: ESL Bias Supply Filtering Update
Next Topic: OMS 2020 array - pics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 00:02:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout