Home » Audio » Speaker » CSS FR125s thoughts...
CSS FR125s thoughts... [message #21038] Sat, 02 July 2005 04:21 Go to next message
theNoid is currently offline  theNoid
Baron
So a few weeks back I got my little grubbies on a pair of CSS FR125s speakers. Now I had some minor experience with the original WR125s driver earlier this year and was impressed overall. But for the most part, it just needed a tweeter to make me happy in the upper end. I have been listening to the FR125s drivers now quite a bit and from the get-go, I liked them. No need for a tweeter here for my tastes. Bob has hit the nail on the head with this one. I think these will be putting a big hurt on Mr. Jordan's sales to come. Are they the end-all answer to audiophilia? No, but I wasn't expecting that either so no biggie right? I have had them in some .25 cube ported enclosures tuned to about 55Hz and the bass impressed most who heard them. Personally, I thought they were a bit "bloaty" sounding to me though. I think maybe a smidgen smaller and higher tuning would cure this for the most part. Bu tthen again, these are likely to be backed up by a sub in most systems so why bother shooting for the limits of the driver when it performs great without doing so. I then dropped them into some smaller sealed enclosures, right at about .15 cubes with moderate stuffing of polyfill. Took them back in the house and really liked what I heard. Listened to them for a bit then had other friends and family give them a listen as well. the majority liked them better sealed, just as I did. I have listened to everything from Pink Floyd, to my Blue Man Group DVD, Dave Mathews live at the Gorge DVD, to some acoustical blues, some bluegrass, to watching movies with these little guys and they rock in my book. Sure they need to be backed up by a subwoofer for rock and movies and the like (my opinion), but hey, it's a 5" driver...what were you really excpecting here? But I can say this, for 5" speakers, they get plenty loud for my family's likings. I think 5/7 of these and a good sub would make an awesome HT set-up for sure. The midrange clarity and smoothness is what stands out the most to me here. I thought the little Tang Band project I built was great for imaging and such, but these really do trump the TB's in all performance aspects if you ask me. I am in the process of building a TL for them, designed by the world-reknowned "dBDave" himself, so I am sure they will be even better yet. I will hopefully have pics and info on that coming soon. Plus the little sealed naked mdf pair are going to a friend's system to be played with and reviewed on better equipment than I have to offer at the time. So keep in touch and stay tuned...

Noidster

Re: CSS FR125s thoughts... [message #21040 is a reply to message #21038] Sat, 02 July 2005 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Oh great! Another set of drivers to temp me. And I'm not even done playing with the Tangbands I got earlier this year.

CSS seems to think this driver's a big deal. Huge splash on its homepage.

Colder than a penguin's [message #21041 is a reply to message #21040] Sat, 02 July 2005 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
pecker.  Eighty five point something dB.  Yah, so are the Tang Bands, but at twelve clams you can gang up.  This thing's ninety bux a copy.

Other than the sensitivity, it looks very good, though; highish Qt and Xmax, lowish Vas, bloody nice looking response graph, Fs 50Hz below the Tang Band.

If you have some amp power (I don't), very attractive.

Aloha,

Poinz

Re: Colder than a penguin's [message #21042 is a reply to message #21041] Sun, 03 July 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Even with it's low sensitivity rating, it can get loud enough for normal folks listening habits without a problem. I was powering them in my garage/back patio with a Technics SA-101 reciever (15 watts) and they got plenty loud for everyone. In fact my wife kept asking me if I had it loud enough, being a smart-ass of course. 10 watts gets these thigns a bit over 95dBs...with plenty of excursion to spare for transient peaks. What kind of SPLs are you looking for from a 5" driver?

Sure they are spendy compared to the Tang Bands...they lunch the TBs in every aspect if you ask me. Not trashing the TB shere, they are great little speakers for the money you pay for them indeed. But now compare them to the Jordans, which are twice as much. They perform as well, if not better some seem to think...at half the cost. Very nice indeed.

Just my thoughts, to each his own I understand....

Noidster

Agreement. [message #21044 is a reply to message #21042] Sun, 03 July 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
They do look far nicer than Tang Bands in their construction, and especially their specs.  If the FR curve hasn't been massaged, it's a remarkable driver, should sound very good, as you say; and it will go far lower than the Tang Bands.  Also, in general terms, ninety clams is far from expensive; I could use two and series 'em, run off the sixteen ohm tap; that would get me near 90dB.

I don't have fifteen watts to burn, though; more like six.  Many small, no feedback amps don't like to be run near the limit either, and mine's no exception.  The sound starts to 'wall up'.

Aloha,

Poinz

Do you have a link to CSS and the drivers? [message #21047 is a reply to message #21038] Mon, 04 July 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That would help us all see them!
-akhilesh

Re: Do you have a link to CSS and the drivers? [message #21048 is a reply to message #21047] Mon, 04 July 2005 15:28 Go to previous message
Baron
http://www.creativesound.ca/

or if you are in the USA, you can get them at

http://www.PalmBayAudio.com as well now.

Noidster

Previous Topic: JBL L112 question
Next Topic: acoustat renewal
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:06:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers