Home » Audio » Speaker » Tangbands had me at Hello
Tangbands had me at Hello [message #20865] Mon, 25 April 2005 08:37 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Okay. I'm sold! These little Tangbands are amazing! I bought a five pack of them with the intent of using them for computer speakers. They arrived Friday, dropped them into the 0.1 ft^3 ELF cabinets I built, and they sang right from the start. Very engaging set of speakers.

The top end tends to beam, so you have to be on-axis. Bass rolls off very early, but you get acclimatized to it. Put them about a foot from a wall and it does enhance the bass. What you get from 100Hz up is smooth and sweet. A little hot in the midrange. Nothing a notch filter can't fix, but not essential. It doesn't get loud enough to shake a house, but enough to drown out conversation in a large sized room (15x20). And to top it all off, these drivers are only $16 each (less if you buy in bulk). And you only need one per speaker.

Cross a subwoofer with these ELF's at 150Hz and I'd say you'd have a very competent system for a small room. Five of these + a sub will definately beat out by a mile those Home Theatre "cubes" they sell for $1000+. I crossed mine with a pair of JBL 2235 at 250Hz through an active crossover and was extremely happy with the results.

The biggest drawback about these little Tangband is that it has me thinking about what the Jordan's are like. But at $160 a pop (10X the Tangband), it'll have to wait.

I'll give a report on the Tangband pipes later this week.

Gar.

Re: Tangbands had me at Hello [message #20867 is a reply to message #20865] Tue, 26 April 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Dawkins is currently offline  Russell Dawkins
Esquire
Gar, you might want to check this out:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
John compared a large number of small wide range drivers and had previously chosen the Tang Band W3-871 as "the one" but after the comparo, switched to the Hi-Vi B3S and publishes a detailed construction project. The Hi-Vi B3S costs $9.50 each.
It must be said that his priorities are around mid range purity and he is of the opinion that 4" drivers and larger are too big and tend to beam, so this is a 3".
This is an MTM implementaion of them:
http://www.d-web.com/dbrown/db313/db313.htm
Russell

Tangbands in front horns [message #20870 is a reply to message #20865] Sat, 30 April 2005 09:04 Go to previous message
kloss is currently offline  kloss
Baron
I have a pair in front petal horns they do sound good .My bud uses many Jordans he used tangband 1st he perfers jordans I dont to me the jordan needs much power has little output when given said power has rolled off trebile and no bass.But in Near field with SS elec .They can be enjoyable.But as always YMMV

Previous Topic: I really need an opinion or an idea
Next Topic: Raffles and things
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 17:23:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout