Home » Audio » Speaker » Need suggestions for computer speakers.
Need suggestions for computer speakers. [message #20837] Fri, 15 April 2005 14:52 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm planning to build a set of computer speakers and I'm posting here because, well, I'm looking for a full range driver for the project. The current short list is the Tangband W3-871S because it's small, requires a small cab, cheap, moderately full range, and moderately sensitive. I've also considered the Fostex Fe87E, but they're almost twice the price of the Tangbands.

Any other suggestions for a small fullrange driver?

BTW, can someone point me to link for the "snake speakers" made of PVC pipes that was posted here. Having a very hard time finding it.

thanks,
gar.

Re: Need suggestions for computer speakers. [message #20838 is a reply to message #20837] Sat, 16 April 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master

You might consider the TB W4-654S from PE. These are not as refined as the 871's and do require a contour filter (well, don't ALL full-rangers?), but it has a lot more guts. for computer speakers, the 654's should be fine.

Bob

you might want to check this out.... [message #20840 is a reply to message #20837] Sat, 16 April 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theNoid is currently offline  theNoid
Baron

I am currently breakig in the TB871 pair I built for my sister and pretty nice overall. Everyone who has heard them, inculding wife, parents, neighbor, friends, and sister and her immediate family have been very impressed.

On the other hand, you may want to give the webpage linked below a good read as well.

Noidster

Re: My TB871 project [message #20841 is a reply to message #20840] Sat, 16 April 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theNoid is currently offline  theNoid
Baron

I built these out of scrap oak plywood and mdf, both 3/4". Overall internal volume is .10 cubes, and they are running sealed. She will be using them in her smallish apartment and they will be backed up by a little subwoofer project for the bottom end.

Noidster

Re: My TB871 project [message #20846 is a reply to message #20841] Sun, 17 April 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those are great looking little speakers!

"personal planars" has anyone heard these [message #20868 is a reply to message #20837] Tue, 26 April 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Dawkins is currently offline  Russell Dawkins
Esquire
these are purported to be what you are looking for. I bring them to your attention only because they are so unusual and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

http://www.decware.com/panels.htm

Re: Need suggestions for computer speakers. [message #20952 is a reply to message #20837] Tue, 31 May 2005 18:08 Go to previous message
boydon_lepasci is currently offline  boydon_lepasci
Esquire
Looks like you're done from postings above but I think the "snakes" you referred to are here:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/davidduke/index.html

Previous Topic: Maggies compared
Next Topic: Is anyone out there??????? Seems cold and quit!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:51:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio