Home » Audio » Speaker » In over my head! Fostex 206 cabinet
In over my head! Fostex 206 cabinet [message #20827] Thu, 14 April 2005 12:34 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Hello, I think I jumped to fast when selecting the Fostex 206. After reading more about it, Fostex states that this driver is not best used in a bass reflex cabinet as is what I'm intending to use if for.
I've been trying to read more to understand better the spec's of the driver. I see that Fostex gives an example of how the 206 can be used in a bass reflex cabinet. Their example was a tall 45liter cabinet with the driver up top and port a foot away with a partial
seperator, I'd like to know what the real name for this is, which I guess causes some restriction between the driver and the port. I'm hoping to get my cabinet as close to 45 liters as possible. But what about any internal ribs, restrictors,etc... My cabinet is currently on paper only and approx. 12x27x9 with only two parallel sides.
The cabinet mounts at the foot of my waterbed and the bafel tilts down and in the align the driver to the listener. Any help is greatly appreciated. Most of the drawings I see have the port only a coulpe inches fron the driver in front. Might I be safe to do that even in a 45 liter cabinet? Thanks, Pete

Re: In over my head! Fostex 206 cabinet [message #20830 is a reply to message #20827] Thu, 14 April 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
check AA for some recent successes on using the 206E in bass reflex cabinets

Reference material here [message #20831 is a reply to message #20827] Fri, 15 April 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Might see you plans - you'd have to inquire as they usually are provided free as part of a driver order.

Re: In over my head! Fostex 206 cabinet [message #20833 is a reply to message #20827] Fri, 15 April 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance A. is currently offline  Lance A.
Esquire
I own a pair of 206e's and built a pair of ,Classic
Audio, 1.3 and Big Port 2.5 cabinets from Baltic Birch. The Fostex 206e in either of these cabinets worked well enough to make me a single full range driver devotee after 30+ years as an audio enthusiast and dealer.

Lance A.

Re: In over my head! Fostex 206 cabinet [message #20834 is a reply to message #20827] Fri, 15 April 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
Greets!

In the good ol' days it was called a tower bass reflex (BR) design, but recently Martin King 'did the math' to better define it as more a 1/4WL mass loaded pipe (MLTL, AKA ML-TQWT) than BR. There's no defined point between the two, just a BR morphs into a MLTL as one dimension becomes long enough to support some 1/4WL pipe action in the cab's passband. His PORTED WS also shows to some extent how the vent's position and harmonics affects the driver/cab summed response.

Assuming an alignment that yields a flat response in a golden or acoustic ratio BR (AKA T/S max flat alignment), the vent position in a MLTL is critical to how flat the response is. As it moves closer to the driver it 'tilts' up the response, shifting Fp upwards, reducing system damping, so if you want to maintain a flat response requires either the vent be longer or critically damped.

The 'restriction' is a 'window' brace and has no impact on the vent's output as long as it's not too intrusive.

Plugging the Fostex design into MJK's PORTED WS yields some peaking at Fp (underdamped, AKA 'ringing') response around 45Hz so moving the vent up near the driver just makes it worse. Increasing its length to 5" (127mm) negates it for the most part and lowers Fp to ~the driver's Fs.

All that's left then is to 'dial in' the amount of baffle step correction (BSC) and stuffing to flatten/smooth it out. Note that this driver's rising response will either require them being severely toe'd in or some form of EQ to flatten their mids/lower HF if listened to on-axis.

Obviously, since your design is different you will have to sim it to find out what dims, etc. works best.

GM

This link may help you [message #20836 is a reply to message #20827] Fri, 15 April 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://audioroundtable.com/SingleDriverSpeakers/messages/70.html
Already discussed earlier in this forum.
Hope it helps you!
-akhilesh

Bass reflex and tuned pipes [message #20839 is a reply to message #20834] Sat, 16 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Not only is the length important but the positions of the driver and the opening in the cabinet. Depending on where those are, the standing waves can reinforce or cancel, and if the Helmholtz frequency is in the passband, it will have an affect as well. So I think your characterization of the two kinds of systems "morphing" is a good one, but I don't think it is accurate to characterize a tall vented box as being necessarily a transmission line. If the standing wave phenomonenon plays a large part in overall system response, then I think labeling it a transmission line makes sense. But if the Helmholtz frequency plays more of a roll, then it is a bass-reflex cabinet. And if they both do, which is entirely possible, then the system is a hybrid, having "morphed" as you say between the two.

Re: In over my head! Fostex 206 cabinet [message #20842 is a reply to message #20827] Sat, 16 April 2005 18:28 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Or just bite the bullet and build a BLH.
ron

Previous Topic: Some "Gumby" pics
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottle Head Meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:33:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers