Home » Audio » Speaker » Audio Nirvana Speakers
Re: The Audio Nirvana Drivers Arrived Today [message #20782 is a reply to message #20781] Tue, 05 April 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They do sound a lot like the pipes you sold Jim. Same driver, very similar tonal balance and character. A little different in the lower mids, as you might expect. But overall, they sound very much alike.

Re: The Audio Nirvana Drivers Arrived Today [message #20783 is a reply to message #20781] Wed, 06 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Please keep us up to date on the progress. I'm dying to know how they sound. The price on the 8" is very attractive. If you give a thumbs up, I'll really consider buying a pair......Colin

I must ask about stuffing.... [message #20785 is a reply to message #20778] Fri, 08 April 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bernieclub is currently offline  bernieclub
Esquire
I've wondered why stuffing the cabinet seems to take something away from the midrange...intuition tells me anything that reduces reflections coming back through the cone can only clean things up, so why the lack of "life"?
Bernie

First Impressions [message #20786 is a reply to message #20752] Fri, 08 April 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I completed them today and hooked them up to the Ella amp. My first impression, with no breakin whatsoever, is they sound very "shouty" and bright. A quick check of one speaker with the Radio Shack meter set at the listening position indicates very uniform response from 500hz to 3khz. Below that they fall off about 5 to 8dB, with a rise between 80 & 60hz and falling off quickly below that. Above 3khz they rise a few dB, especially between 4 and 8khz. I understand Lowther and Fostex drivers tend to sound strident for the first 100 hours or so. The same must be true of the Audio Nirvana drivers, so I will not report back until they have some time on them or I have heard a dramatic change.

Re: I must ask about stuffing.... [message #20787 is a reply to message #20785] Fri, 08 April 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
I've had this discussion any number of times, although usually in the context of baffle step correction filters.

IMO Reflections off of the back of the cabinet through the cone are in the 1-2kHz range. The reflections put a bump in the frequency response of the speaker in this range. People like the effect. It gives sparkle to the sound of the speaker. Removing the reflections give a sound more true to the recording. It lacks the extra sparkle. It lacks "life". The same happens with. By cutting the treble to match the bass, you remove the exaggerated mids and the sound then lacks "life".

Don't get me wrong. If you like the extra "life" in the sound of your speakers, by all means go for it. Just understand where it is coming from.

Bob

Thankyou! [message #20788 is a reply to message #20787] Fri, 08 April 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bernieclub is currently offline  bernieclub
Esquire

Re: First Impressions [message #20789 is a reply to message #20786] Fri, 08 April 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They sure look nice! I was in Woodcraft yesterday, and they had some walnut burl veneer that would sure look luscious on those cabinets...

Re: First Impressions [message #20792 is a reply to message #20786] Sat, 09 April 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronbrady is currently offline  ronbrady
Chancellor
Wow Fred! you move pretty fast for a senior citizen. Those cabinets are very interesting. They are larger than I would have expected for the simulations that I ran on the driver. I assume that it is the one recommended by audio nirvana. I am glad you took the initiative and jumped into these new speakers with both feet. I and many others will be waiting to hear your impressions during and after the break-in period. But for right now maybe you could give us your impression of the speakers appearance and build quality etc.
Nice work Fred!!
Ron Brady

Re: First Impressions [message #20793 is a reply to message #20792] Sat, 09 April 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I spoke with David on the phone. Nice guy but he uses the cabinets he originally designed for the Lowthers. I asked if maybe these drivers should be modeled for a more dedicated enclosure and he claims ;
Modeling is a waste of time
Theil-Small parameters tell you nothing
These cabinets sizes fit all efficient drivers.
Has anyone encountered this line of reasoning yet?
Not trying to be critical I really am curious about how people feel about his theories.

Re: First Impressions [message #20794 is a reply to message #20793] Sat, 09 April 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
David is a nice guy and I have bought several pairs of drivers from him. Very enthusiastic about his products and he has taken a lot of criticism for his positions. He is very upfront about his beliefs. But, I definitely do not agree with David.

If you look at the 8" full range drivers he sells, they do have a lot in common. Typically they have a fs between 50 and 60 Hz, a Qts between 0.20 and 0.35, and a Mms between 10 and 15 gm (so the Vas values are also close). This includes the Lowthers and the Fostex drivers. If you put any one of these drivers in a ported enclosure tuned to say 55 Hz, the final performance of the drivers will be close. The enclosure only reinforces the bass below 100 Hz. The amount of bass produced will be a function of the Qts, low Qts will have weaker bass output. His enclosure will work under the right conditions but they are probably (maybe I could claim definitely) not optimum.

Martin

Previous Topic: Yamaha SP1 - Digital Array for HT
Next Topic: Fostex break- in proceedures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:35:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers