Home » Audio » Speaker » 8 inch co-ax Mello Monster
8 inch co-ax Mello Monster [message #20637] Wed, 02 February 2005 18:26 Go to next message
Mark Korda is currently offline  Mark Korda
Chancellor
Hi, first I'd like to thank Wayne Parham for directing me to this site. Somewhere in my piles of audio literature I have the plans for a small 8 inch horn enclosure from Popular Science, 1963 called the Mello Monster. It would be perfect for a 8 inch Fostex FE207E co-ax. Until I find it, it could be built with 2 sheets of plywood, I was wondering if anyone out there had ever run across the plans, thank you Mark Korda (mark.korda@verizon.net)

What would a horn do for a full range 8" like a Fostex? [message #20638 is a reply to message #20637] Thu, 03 February 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Great Post Mark, and welcome!
It got me wondering: what would a horn enclosure do for a driver like the fostex? Will it increase the bass and leave the higher frequencies alone? My guess, from using a megaphone in my childhood (those tpys) is: a horn emphasizes a frequency range depneding on its length and cross sectional area.

If that is the case, then it should be possible to design a horn for the fostex's freq curve that will emp[haisze the right ffreq range, upto about 2000 HZ to make the whole thing at least somewhat flat.
How big would such a horn be?

-akhilesh

Re: What would a horn do for a full range 8" like a Fostex? [message #20639 is a reply to message #20638] Thu, 03 February 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kloss is currently offline  kloss
Baron
oris and azura make such horns they are arround 31in plus

Re: What would a horn do for a full range 8" like a Fostex? [message #20640 is a reply to message #20638] Sat, 05 February 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Depends on the lowest frequency that you were designing for.In reality a true FR horn would be front loaded with maybe a smaller chamber on the rear (to provide two sided loading). If it was floor/wall loaded ( cant tilt it back to a great degree)and you were aiming for a true spherical wave at 50 hz then the x and y mouth axis would be 21.49". If it was just wall loaded then the min dimension for the x/y axis is 43". Thats why its so much easier to have a good LF woofer and a front horn, saves on space. I find it much easier to just use a BLH up to and around 360-380 hz and let the FR driver do its direct radiator thing.
ron

Re: What would a horn do for a full range 8" like a Fostex? [message #20641 is a reply to message #20638] Sun, 06 February 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Horn loading should only affect mid-bass (150-500 Hz for front loading, 50 - 300 Hz for rear loading) and is best suited for drivers with Qts of around 0.2 like Lowther or most Fostex. But at these lower frequency limits horns get BIG. High pressures that compress air and flex enclosures are additional problems related to horns and produce colorations. Finding a "fast" enough sub to match up is a real challenge and a commom gripe with the Oris front horn designs. Phase integration gets to be another problem as the bass horn has to get bigger and the distance through the horn becomes significant.

There is not a single driver horn design that does deep bass. The only "practical" deep bass horn I've ever heard was 3 feet high x 2 feet deep x 7 feet long and used two 15 inch drivers per channel. But still the bass wasn't musical. Note that I was considering this option with Oris horns at one time but costs, added complexity, and the phasing issues kept me away from adding it to my dedicated listening room. But IMO except for efficiency and dynamics my Bob Brines designed/built FTA-2000 that use a single Fostex F200A per channel in a moderately sized mass loaded transmission line cabinet does better for less money. Check out Bob's forum here.

No perfect speaker, each must pick his own compromises. Single drivers are simple, provide active connection to the amp, provide point source imaging, no crossover issues, no phase issues, and do a good job in the all important mid-range frequencies.

Re: What would a horn do for a full range 8" like a Fostex? [message #20642 is a reply to message #20641] Sun, 06 February 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks, JLM. Nice post.
-akhilesh

f200a or oris [message #20645 is a reply to message #20641] Sun, 06 February 2005 08:07 Go to previous message
kloss is currently offline  kloss
Baron
I perfer front horns to f200a I have been using f200a for 5 years now have much experance Bob picked my brain befor building his system.F200a is a wonderful driver and has near full range responce.I get 30hz out of cab in link.But it doesnt have the dynamics of front horns doesnt sound as at ease.Doesnt have the image size.But is much cheaper to build due to cab design.I have bass horns and other cabs that have mated great with front horns but you are right its not easy.But is worth it in the end I have both f200a and front horns plus others in my systems.I have also used f200a in front horns sounds very nice but no trebile gets lost in the horn.

Previous Topic: Bill Wassilak's Arrays
Next Topic: JBL D-140R
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:13:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout