Home » Audio » Speaker » fostex speakers in Japan
fostex speakers in Japan [message #20547] Tue, 14 December 2004 15:24 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Dan the Man----try to go on line there and get some one to translate for you----ususally the fostex site will have a spec sheet and a reccommended design for that driver----and while you are there check out the FE166es-r-----the rear loaded horn is table saw doable I think----but the driver is available there in Japan and in very limited quanities here ---- Jim

Re: fostex speakers are really easy to build [message #20548 is a reply to message #20547] Wed, 15 December 2004 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
All the parts are narrow and can be cut on a little bitty $99 table saw. Nearly all the parts are the same width. If you break the design down into 4 parts it really is easy.
1. the box
2. the driver baffle group
3. the inner labrynth
4. the exit mouth

You cut every part of the same width (including the front and back pieces very important)at the same time with the same saw fence setting. Then cross-cut the lengths.

Attach the front and back, top and bottom to one of the sides.

with the inside of teh side facing up measure, mark and draw the pattern of the sub-assemblies on it. Just position the sub-assemblies and trace them.

run a bead of urethane construction adhesive like PL 200 on the tracing and press the sub-assemblies into place. Wiggle them a bit to get a friction, or "rubbed joint" adhesion.

wait an hour

run a bead of glue on the exposed edges of the sub-assemblies

position the remaining side, wiggle a bit and weight it with 40 or 50 pounds of "stuff": books, sandbags, dead cats, whatever

wait overnight

install the driver (oh yeah, you should have installed the binding posts and run wires through the driver baffle labrynth before you glued the second side on)!

connect to a tube amp and a turntable and listen..........

Re: fostex speakers are really easy to build [message #20549 is a reply to message #20548] Thu, 16 December 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy is currently offline  Jeremy
Chancellor
Which driver is that enclosure for? How do you like those speakers?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Re: fostex speakers are really easy to build [message #20550 is a reply to message #20549] Thu, 16 December 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
FE103E which had a really good bass output to 50 Hz, gorgeous mid-range with wonderful soundstage and imaging but a dreadful treble. Almost like AM radio. I gave them about 50 hours and sold them to a fellow who thinks they sound great.
Interestingly, when myself and a few friends got thoroughly juiced and played some outrageous techno through them crossed to a Titanic sub at 60 Hz and cranked them all the way up, they were awesome!
I'm going to try the FE167E in Bob Brine's FT1600. I can't believe that my experience with the 103's is indicative of good single driver sound.

You were listening to techno?? (nt) [message #20551 is a reply to message #20550] Thu, 16 December 2004 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
nt

Re: fostex speakers are really easy to build [message #20553 is a reply to message #20550] Fri, 17 December 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy is currently offline  Jeremy
Chancellor
Thanks for the feedback. I thought those cabs looked bigger than that, hard to judge the scale. I have some FE167E's in martins ML TQWT's which I assume should be very similar sounding to Bob's design. I will be interested to hear your impression.

I really like these pipes, even after listening to them for well over a year. You need to make sure you get the stuffing, port tuning and positioning right, but after that they are really sweet. I find mine are warm, slightly forward, with a really natural acoustic sound that is very easy to listen to with most of my jazz and bluegrass material. They are broken up in the treble, at least on paper, but it has never bothered me. I do have some fibrous material around the whizzer cone that seems to take some edge off them, and I prefer them this way. I've also lined the inside of the basket legs and back of the magnet with felt with good results. I added a super tweeter, but I find it kind of irritating, so I don't usually run it.

Re: fostex speakers are really easy to build [message #20619 is a reply to message #20550] Thu, 20 January 2005 15:26 Go to previous message
David Dlugos is currently offline  David Dlugos
Esquire
> I gave them about 50 hours

You need about twice that before the nasal upper mid goes away and double that again before they really start to bloom... your friend didn't have to put up when them when they were at their worst

dave

Previous Topic: New array in progress...
Next Topic: Dumb question of the day..What's an NSB?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:12:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio