Home » Audio » Speaker » Fostex f120a
Fostex f120a [message #20545] Sun, 12 December 2004 20:59 Go to next message
DanTheMan is currently offline  DanTheMan
Viscount
Has anyone ever heard the fostex f120a? I just heard them for the first time at a local Hifi shop here in Tokyo (Akihabara). I think they are absolutely outstanding! Really neutral with incredible midrange clarity--not much base to talk about though but more than any of the TBs for sure. Of course it was playing through a hand-made 300b set. Even my girlfriend who never makes unpromted comments about stereo gear quickly stated how clear those sounded. Anyone have any comments on this driver or how it compares with other small fullrangers? Thanks in advance!
Would these be a bad choice for a rear loaded horn? They had Other fostex`s in rear loaded horns which had plenty more bass output. RLHs seem to make acoustic bass`s sound so life-like! If the f120a`s will work, I`m coming back to PA with a pair!

Re: Fostex f120a [message #20634 is a reply to message #20545] Sun, 30 January 2005 05:02 Go to previous message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
I own F200A drivers (the big brother of the F120A) and have them in Bob Brines floorstanding mass loaded transmission line cabinets. Their Qts is around 0.4, which matches them best to bass reflex or transmission lines. Except for very low organ, my speakers don't need a sub for music. Louis, from Omega Speakers has built a couple of pairs of standmounts using the F120A and the owners are very well pleased. I've been a user/fan of transmission lines for 25 years and much prefer them to horns as playing deeper, being more musical, and much smaller for a given bass response.

Most Fostex drivers have low Qts (around 0.2) that lends them to horn loading. Don't underestimate the importance of proper matching of driver to enclosure.

I believe that the F120A could be one of the very best extended range drivers available in that size. There is no perfect driver/speaker, each must chose their own compromises (efficiency, bass response, beaming, build quality, price, colorations, etc.).

Previous Topic: Getting test system soon
Next Topic: Is Neo really the One? Oracle Cleo wouldn't tell me...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:40:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio