Home » Audio » Speaker » fostex and speaker cables
fostex and speaker cables [message #20458] Sat, 25 September 2004 10:27 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
can someone share with me some thoughts on speaker cables ---in reading about Fostex FRD designs and single drover speakers I came acrosss a young man and his project using fostex speakers and said that he was most impressed how well fostex responded to using Aucostic Zen speaker wires----question----is it the amp or the speaker or both???? speaker wire experiemtns are for the well heeled! JD

Re: fostex and speaker cables [message #20460 is a reply to message #20458] Sat, 25 September 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
I don't want to contradict any belief in the audio circles, but...
I am most impresses how well Fostex fullrange drivers respond to zip cord, and OFC gauge 12, and Cat 5 braided (and unbraided), magnet wires or anything else for that matter... The idea of a cable is to send the signal to the driver, without changing the signal. Since these drivers are very efficient, the cables need to carry very little current and don't seem to require big bucks "boutique" cables. True that some tube amps can respond differently, but with decent SS amp, I do not hear any drastic differences in any configuration. I simply do not understand the idea of spending money on cables, especially when you consider the fact that the crossover coils crossover in multiway speakers might have dozens of metres of small gauge wire...
You are very right when stating speaker wires experiments are either for the well-heeled. Seems that the reviewers are also especially susceptible to hear a difference (the sound of advertsing dollars rolling in the bank).

Re: fostex and speaker cables [message #20462 is a reply to message #20460] Mon, 27 September 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Cables; Can I offer this from experience. Axon offer 2/4/8 teflon wrapped bundled cables of individually coated 24 ga. solid core for as little as 2$ a foot. Several of the speaker vendors offer it, I got mine from Zalytron. It has a nice smooth sound compatible with many combinations of equipment. The RCA plugs they sell are exceptional for the price. I use them against my discovery cable and they sound just as clear and detailed as the very much more expensive stuff from Discovery. J.R.

Re: fostex and speaker cables [message #20463 is a reply to message #20462] Mon, 27 September 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
i have had positive experiences using thin ga solid core magnet wire (24Ga ,. i think) , ... A-B'd vs. zip cord

Re: fostex and speaker cables [message #20464 is a reply to message #20463] Mon, 27 September 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
(sorry , .got cut off) on fostex fullrange speakers

Re: fostex and speaker cables [message #20466 is a reply to message #20458] Tue, 28 September 2004 08:27 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
JIm, IMHO try a broad gauge, well shileded wire like the premium wire at radio shack. From what I have read you need a low L & R in the wire. If your wire lengths are about 6 feet or less, then a premium speaker wire from radio shack should be fine. Alternately, you can buy co-ax from home depot, and use that as well...that tends to be well shielded.

-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Bandpass subs
Next Topic: Opinions needed: Aluminum or Pascalite?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:14:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio