Home » Audio » Speaker » SET/PP/SS and when to use them
SET/PP/SS and when to use them [message #20446] Thu, 23 September 2004 14:31 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi All; Does anyone believe that certain amplifier topologies should not be used with certain types of transducers. If so what would be a natural match and what would be a obvious mis-match? Thank You, J.R.

Re: SET/PP/SS and when to use them [message #20450 is a reply to message #20446] Thu, 23 September 2004 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron

>> If so what would be a natural match

==Assuming you have a high efficiency single driver. Low powered SET, lower the better. Best by a longshot. Newer current source amps (firstwatt) are a new form of yet undiscovered sweetness.

>>what would be a obvious mis-match?

==High powered SS. High voltage gain caused by multi gain stages inserting phase adjustments at every push. Sounds fine covered up and padded with cap coupling and heavy loads. Works great on speakers that have low impedance with consumer grade sources. These amps always start to sound great at about 45% of their rated power.

I won't bore you with a list of my amp collection. I will say solid state is not completely hopeless (see Firstwatt white paper at www.firstwatt.com for more of the same).

TC

Re: SET/PP/SS and when to use them [message #20451 is a reply to message #20450] Thu, 23 September 2004 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks; you know it kinda makes sense that a post concerning sound quality judgements should require that the poster divulge his source and power components. I plan on accessing that whitepaper, thanks; J.R.

Re: SET/PP/SS and when to use them [message #20452 is a reply to message #20451] Thu, 23 September 2004 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
If you'd like a low cost (show entrance fee) sample, you can hear for yourself at the RMAF in two weeks. My 350lbs of 2 watt Electronluv monoblocks and parafeed linestage will be there. An Art Audio, a Wavac, A Fi-X 3 watter and a Firstwatter will be in the room. All connected to single drivers with no electrical compensation whatsover in a large (conifer 3) conference room.

TC

whoops [message #20459 is a reply to message #20452] Sat, 25 September 2004 11:25 Go to previous message
Baron
Firstwatter has a compensation EQ network, current source is a passive element EQ wonderland.

TC

Previous Topic: Posts?
Next Topic: Line array enclosure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:29:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers