Home » Audio » Speaker » Ping Martin King
Ping Martin King [message #20400] Wed, 15 September 2004 15:08 Go to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Hi Martin,
You said you were working on horns these days, and a dual horn design in particular. Care to share any news of your progress?
All the best and thanks,
Ralph

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20405 is a reply to message #20400] Wed, 15 September 2004 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi Ralph,

Well ..... I posted my first set of write-ups on horn theory about a month ago. Then I went on a two week vacation with my family. I could not look at the horn articles any more after a year of working on them.

So I have been back in the rut since Labor day. I am still working on horn theory and the dual horn concept, but progress is slow. The following are the important tasks in my life right now in order of priority :

1) Three little kids back to school (just in time before I killed them!).
2) Two ballet lessons and one tap lesson for my two girls every week.
3) Piano lessons for my boy and older girl every week.
4) Swimming lessons at the Y for my youngest girl every week.
5) Keep wife happy (impossible!)
6) Fix bathroom sink (see item 5).
7) Outside yard work (see item 5).
8) Watch NY Giants with my boy on Sundays and yell at TV just like my Dad and I did for years when I was a kid (can't help it, been a fan since the 60's).
9) Full time engineering job, new boss who seems to think I can do a lot more work then they have asked for in the past (I can but he is still a jerk!).
10) Hobby (speaker design, listen to new Mosaic set of Art Farmer and Benny Golson, answer 5 to 10 e-mail questions a day, somethimes post on the one or two forums I read at work).

That is my life. You see that speaker design is number 10 on my list which means I get maybe an hour or two a couple nights a week and sometimes on the weekends.

I recently put the horn theory down for a few weeks and have been working on extending the MathCad worksheets into 3D. This is almost done and will provide an interesting article to be added to my site hopefully in the next month or two. Then it is back onto horns. First, I have to finish the room boundary impact on mouth impedance and size that is started and almost done. Then, I was going to tackle the front and back loaded horn speaker. My guess is that this will be finished and documented by the spring. I am also working with my growing collection of Lowther drivers and building another speaker system. I also try and sleep most nights. Too many interesting tasks and too few hours in the day. My Dad can't understand how I get everything done, I tell him that one boy and two girls is easier then the five boys he had. My brothers and I were bad kids, mine are very good easy nice kids.

I will continue writing articles for my site covering what I have learned but there will be no more free MathCad worksheets or free designs. People are starting to make money off my efforts, without remembering where the design tools came from, so I am going to leave what is already available on line but not add any new advanced MathCad tools.

I don't generally advertise new work added to my site on any of the forums. I assume interested people are on my mailing list. If you are really interested in keeping track of what I have made available, or where I am going next, you might consider joining the mailing list. There are about 150 members already, and more every week, and I send out updates about every month or two as blind carbon copies to keep everybody's e-mail address private.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20406 is a reply to message #20405] Wed, 15 September 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Hi Martin,
Thanks for offering so much of your time. I have always been impressed with your work and value your opinions. I'll keep watching as things progress. I'll also probably ask on the forums occasionally so others who aren't aware of your work will be made aware of it.
All the best,
Ralph

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20408 is a reply to message #20405] Thu, 16 September 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Martin; Is the Art Farmer and Benny Golson available through the new catalogue I don't see them in the last one? Love the Mosaic's, great sound and thorough discography. Thanks J.R.; Listen to Duke Pearson a lot.

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20409 is a reply to message #20405] Thu, 16 September 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Martin,
Thanks for the detailed post. I had a quick question. I am not into horn theory, nor do i think i will be building a horn. However, I am curious, and thought i'd throw this by you.
I believe there have been papers published on horn design. Are you extending this work, borrowing from it, or starting from scratch to make up your own model?
thanx
-akhilesh

Some references you may have looked at already [message #20410 is a reply to message #20409] Thu, 16 September 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://melhuish.org/audio/horninfo.html
has a lot of links, including referencees to AES articles. YOu may have already looked at these, MArtin, but if not, it may be useful.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20411 is a reply to message #20408] Thu, 16 September 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi J.R.

I found the new release on the website a while back. The latest catalog came a couple of weeks ago and it featured this selection. I ordered it right away along with the Dizzy Reece set. It should arrive today or tomorrow.

I have most of the Mosaic sets in my collection and started buying from Mosaic not long after they came into existence. I have only been disappointed in one set. I did not buy the Duke Pearson set since I think I have several of the records already.

Martin

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20412 is a reply to message #20406] Thu, 16 September 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Ralph,

You probably found out more about my boring life then you really wanted to know. 8^)

Thanks for the positive feedback,

Martin

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20413 is a reply to message #20409] Thu, 16 September 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi akhilesh,

I answered your post once already but it seems to have disappeared.

Over the past couple of years, I have collected a lot of the significant papers writen by the recognized authors in the horn field and put them in my personal notes. I have also visited a lot of the Internet sites covering horn design downloaded the design methods and included them in my personal notes. But after reading all of this body of work I could not find a common method for designing a horn. Some of this is probably due to my inexperience. But in other cases I found several different methods for sizing the coupling volume. So I decided to make my own pass through the theory. This resulted in the series af articles I have recently added to my site. There are more articles to come as I look at different areas in more detail. My method for designing a horn is going to evolve more as I continue to learn.

You asked :

"I believe there have been papers published on horn design. Are you extending this work, borrowing from it, or starting from scratch to make up your own model?"

The answer to your three questions is :

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I think that my MathCad quarter wavelength methods are going to allow me to look at various aspects of horn design and theory in more detail then what is included in all of the classic papaers.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Re: Ping Martin King [message #20414 is a reply to message #20411] Thu, 16 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like the Pearson samba slant on some of the recordings. May I ask which one dissapionted? BTW I saw the Art Farmer Benny Golson on the website, a "must Buy".

Previous Topic: Fresnel and fibonacci line array systems
Next Topic: Tapered pipes to horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 07:07:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout