Home » Audio » Speaker » Single driver cornerhorn
Re: A small corner horn [message #20382 is a reply to message #20381] Mon, 13 September 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don is currently offline  Don
Esquire
Interesting and low cost. $700 a pair for finished speakers? Are they good? Sound? Fit and finish? Have you compared with others from Cain, King, etc?
Thanx,
Don

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20383 is a reply to message #20378] Mon, 13 September 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Thanks for your ideas Ron. You have been most helpful.
Ralph

Re: A small corner horn [message #20389 is a reply to message #20382] Tue, 14 September 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NUMA is currently offline  NUMA
Chancellor
Yeah, I think they sound great. I use mine as my primary speakers. I really haven't been interested in chaning anything for a long time as far as speakers. I am continually fiddling with amps/preamps/whatever. I have heard Cains at audio shows so they were not in their prime setup, the rooms were way small, so I really shouldn't say anything about Cains.

Finish is simple, and actaully very stylish. The finish is quite durable mine have been moved between 3 houses without a scratch. If you wanted them unfinished I am sure you could get that arranged.

I use a pair of 2A3 monoblocks, a silly little powerwave amp, and a big old heathkit as my power. The speakers are scary revealing and I have been really happy with them.

If you live in the midwest you are welcome to swing by and give a listen. Kris

Re: A small corner horn [message #20390 is a reply to message #20381] Tue, 14 September 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've never heard them. However, Ed Schilling, the manufacturer, did send me a curve he measuresd which shows they are flat down to 60 HZ or so. A stereophile review (FWIW) also seemed to like them, in fact they are "stereophile recommended" (again FWIW).
My guess is they sound pretty good over 80 HZ but you may need to augment the bass with a good active sub. BIamping may be a good option as well.
-akhilesh

Re: A small corner horn [message #20391 is a reply to message #20390] Tue, 14 September 2004 12:06 Go to previous message
NUMA is currently offline  NUMA
Chancellor
Yeah, I actually have used a variety of bass augmentation methods. I have used a sealed 10" sub amped, and it did well. Ed actually makes a bass augmenter that you might want to look at. (I have one). I would advise STRONGLY to FIRST get them in your room and listen and try to see how much augmentation you want/need. All corner horns are room sensitive. That's life. My room is quite big with a 15' ceiling. Kris

Previous Topic: More thoughts on slot vs. hole for mounting array drivers
Next Topic: hammer dynamics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 14:40:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout