Home » Audio » Speaker » Single driver cornerhorn
Single driver cornerhorn [message #20370] Fri, 10 September 2004 12:34 Go to next message
Ralph is currently offline  Ralph
Viscount
Do you know of any single driver cornerhorns? Seems like most single driver horns are huge. Maybe a corner design will solve my space/size problem. What do you think about a dual horn made for corners so the bass backhorn section can be made smaller?

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20371 is a reply to message #20370] Fri, 10 September 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
A 50 hz horn is a 50 hz horn. Corner loading wll allow a smaller mouth(which will mean a shorter horn) but depending on the throat size and type flare will still have to be a given length.
Only reason i havent spent a lot of energy in corner horns is the lack of room geometry.
IMO a corner horn should be just that, designed for a corner horn and not just a rear firing horn.
ron

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20372 is a reply to message #20371] Fri, 10 September 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

What about recessing a front horn and suitable driver in a backhorn cabinet something like this?

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20373 is a reply to message #20372] Fri, 10 September 2004 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Works for me.The FLH should be tuned for the roll off of the BLH.(slight overlap) so you are looking at a normal range of approx.250-350 hz.XO.
ron

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20374 is a reply to message #20372] Sat, 11 September 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
I looked at those tannoy cabinets a few years ago. I had detailed plans and I would say you need a major woodworking shop and much better skill with precision cutting than I ever had. I made back loaded horns for a pair of Lowthers instead and while it was no picnic it was certainly easier to cut the more than twenty internal parts and have them fit than it would be to cut the thirty to forty inside the GRF cabs. The pieces are all at different angles and setting them up and aligning them would be a total pain in the ass. That said, I've heard a pair of the original tannoy GRF cabinets like this and they do sound impressive.

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20375 is a reply to message #20374] Sat, 11 September 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was using the GRF as a proof of concept and thinking about something along the same lines.
Best,
Ralph

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20376 is a reply to message #20373] Sat, 11 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thank you for exploring this with me. I think I'll pursue this more. Do you design your horn on paper or is it more of an empirical approach? How do you know where the BLH rolls off?
Ralph

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20377 is a reply to message #20376] Sat, 11 September 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
My designs are a long drawn out process. I start with the basic math and formulate a design goal. I then factor in a size goal then start folding on a CAD program till i can get as near as i can. Then i start a wave form/pressure(hydrodynamic) program which more or less refines the flow. Then i go thru structural methods to assure there will be minimal resonances then sit down with CAD and several dozen papers filled with numbers and work on it till i get something that is as close to my original design goal as i can get.Last horn took 6 months to design and build a test horn and test.
ron
( i may be slow ,but i eventually get there)

Re: Single driver cornerhorn [message #20378 is a reply to message #20377] Sat, 11 September 2004 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Dont know why that posted twice. FYI the filter/compression chamber volume is the main factor in the roll off frequency.
ron

A small corner horn [message #20381 is a reply to message #20370] Mon, 13 September 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NUMA is currently offline  NUMA
Chancellor
You might check out http://www.thehornshoppe.com/. They are a pleasant and small single driver corner horn. Pretty versatile, and fun to have around. High W-A-F. Kris

Previous Topic: More thoughts on slot vs. hole for mounting array drivers
Next Topic: hammer dynamics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 07:52:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout