Home » Audio » Speaker » Lowther / Fostex
Lowther / Fostex [message #20277] Wed, 11 August 2004 19:27 Go to next message
JackieLaw is currently offline  JackieLaw
Chancellor
If Lowther and Fostex speakers have such different characteristics, why are they used in the same cabinets and sometimes interchanged?

Re: Lowther / Fostex [message #20278 is a reply to message #20277] Wed, 11 August 2004 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Good question. They should not be, IMHO.
-akhilesh

Re: Lowther / Fostex [message #20279 is a reply to message #20277] Thu, 12 August 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi Tesla Rider,

Could you be a little more specific about which Fostex and Lowther drivers and what types of cabinets. Some of the Fostex drivers are very similar to Lowther and some are very different.

Also, the type of cabinet design will impact the answer since some are more sensitive to the driver parameters then others. For example a closed or ported box might be more difficult to swap drivers then a TL or horn loaded cabinet.

Martin

Re: Lowther / Fostex [message #20281 is a reply to message #20279] Thu, 12 August 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JackieLaw is currently offline  JackieLaw
Chancellor
Makes sense.

Re: Lowther / Fostex [message #20282 is a reply to message #20281] Thu, 12 August 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Your letting my off too easy!

Actually, many of the Lowther and Fostex eight inch drivers share similar Thiele/Small parameters. The Fostex FE-206E and FE-207E and most of the eight inch Sigma drivers along with almost all of the Lowther drivers are fairly close. They tend to have light cones with large magnets producing low Qts and high SPL for 1 w at 1 m.

I swap my Lowthers (PM6C, PM2C, PM6A, PM2A, and the DX series) in and out of my ML TL design every few weeks. A quick adjustment of the variable BSC to get the SPL balanced and I sit back and listen. All of them sound slightly different with different strengths and weaknesses. Typically one trades bass response for high frequency response as the magnet gets bigger. Many other people have used the Fostex FE-206E and FE-207E in the same enclosure with slight changes to the port length tuning and the correction circuit.

Most of the time, swapping a full range driver requires small adjustments like the amount of stuffing, different postions in the room, or different filter components. A lot of the enclosure designs can accomidate many different, yet similar, full range drivers. Also, one needs to keep in mind that the enclosure produces the bass and adds its own baffle step signiture. But once you get above say 400 Hz, the sound is all from the driver and the enclosure is not so important. Swapping full range drivers in a box impacts the bass produced from the box and then the mids and highs are from the driver itself.

Martin

Re: Lowther / Fostex [message #20284 is a reply to message #20282] Sat, 14 August 2004 06:05 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Agreed. In a BAss reflex box, I would create a box specially for the driver. If the parameters of different drivers are "in the ballparK', then one can simply adjust the port tuning & keep volume the same. But BR boxes are VERY senitive to parameters, and small differences in volume and port tuing can be heard.
I have no experience with the TL or horn boxes. My feeling is a horn SHOULD be sensitive, but i honestly don't know. I also feel a TL should be sensitive, since my understanding of it, (very superficial) is that at the bass frequencies, they act very similar to BR boxes. Maybe Martin & Wayne can elaborate!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Padding questions
Next Topic: for Jim Giffin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:00:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers