Home » Audio » Speaker » I'm fascinated by the Double Horn Single driver speaker box
Off topic - Poof [message #20193 is a reply to message #20191] Tue, 27 July 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Man, I hate it when I'm writing a post and power goes out or something happens and I lose the post. Sometimes I put a lot in them, and if one gets lost after I'm nearly finished writing, it can be terribly frustrating. I've gotten to where if I'm writing more than a sentence or two, I do it in Wordpad and save along the way. When I'm done, I'll copy and paste it into a post. But as sure as I start a post thinking it will be short, then I get on a roll and think I've got a good one, poof, there's a power blip and it's gone to digital heaven.

Sorry to make an aside about something as silly as this. I didn't want to derail your thread, but I do empathize with you on the lost post thing.

INteresting, thanx Lon [message #20194 is a reply to message #20190] Tue, 27 July 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
SO it seems like splitting the chambers allows us to change the direction of the sound, without altering the frequency balance in any way. THat makes sense. It may also change the aesthetics of the cabinet.
thanx
-akhilesh

I am still on the Doubl;e Horn thing Re: Off topic - Poof [message #20197 is a reply to message #20193] Tue, 27 July 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Whelp, today I am not trying to paste links.

I was up too late trying to do that last night.

But I did find a double horn over at the full range driver
forum so you all can do this:

www.fullrangedriver.com -> Image Gallery -> ianssmall1 image
(it's in the last row)

It looks like Ian tried to have a hybrid like I mentioned
over in the thread on Voigts: the project is leaning backwards.
In a box with right angles this makes it look similar to one of the
new Ushers but I don't think I could ever live with something
that looks like it's been at the bar too long.

However, I think the slant side of a Voigt would not create
this precarious illusion.

Re: I am still on the Doubl;e Horn thing Re: Off topic - Poof [message #20198 is a reply to message #20197] Tue, 27 July 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm having a hard time pulling that one up. But I am familiar with the dual path horns you guys are talking about here.

Split-path horns [message #20199 is a reply to message #20189] Tue, 27 July 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Klipschorns, LaScalas and Belles are all split-path horns. Some people call this a "W" fold, because the shape of the paths look like a "W" or an "M". In a Klipschorn, the two paths are laid on each side of the motor chamber and throat. Some designs have one path above the driver and the other below. But that's just a layout difference; The design is basically the same.

Splitting the path means each can have smaller cross-section area. It is really an architectural device in that it allows the horn designer to layout the cabinet shape to suit his taste. The cross-section area of each path is added together at a given distance down the throat to determine total cross-section area. It can also be modeled as two small but identical horns driven by a common radiator, but the effect is the same, acting as a single horn.

Another thing that splits the horn path is phase plugs. A phase plug is a device that splits the path into many segments. It is used to keep path lengths nearly the same from all points on the radiator into the throat.

There are designs that use two different horns driven by a single radiator. These kinds of designs usually have two different flare rates and horn lengths, often with a smaller front-loaded horn and a larger rear-loaded horn. In this case, the two paths work at different frequency ranges.

Re: I am still on the Doubl;e Horn thing Re: Off topic - Poof [message #20200 is a reply to message #20197] Tue, 27 July 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Is this the one?

http://fullrangedriver.com/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=2&sort_mode=created_asc&desp=39&offset=0&imageId=77

Dave

Re: I am still on the Doubl;e Horn thing Re: Off topic - Poof [message #20201 is a reply to message #20200] Tue, 27 July 2004 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ah-Ha! Now I see it! Those are beautiful speakers.

Re: I'm fascinated by the Double Horn Single driver speaker box [message #20203 is a reply to message #20182] Tue, 27 July 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
I never intended for this pic to be taken in a serious manner.I ran some sims on the dbl horn concept and decided its just too big for transport. The pic is of my horn with some dig tricks.I am working on a design at present which is a FLH/RLH(single 206e driver) with a 200 hz mechanical crossover
ron

Re: huh.... [message #20204 is a reply to message #20190] Tue, 27 July 2004 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I also don't know if sound waves are affected by gravity

Nope its a wave in a medium.
ron

Heres the file [message #20205 is a reply to message #20182] Tue, 27 July 2004 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
http://ihost.it-mate.co.uk/users/roncla/files/dbl206e.jpg

Previous Topic: You know what phrase I hate the most in speaker ads?
Next Topic: speaker power
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 14:44:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout