Home » Audio » Speaker » Phase plug mod
Phase plug mod [message #20196] Tue, 27 July 2004 12:24 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I went and removed the dust caps from my EV LS-8's and installed the wooden phase plugs I built a couple of years ago for my 10" Zenith Allegro speakers (both have 2" voice coils.) I have been noticing a slight hardness in the mid treble that could be irritating on some music. The phase plugs made an immediately noticable difference. At first I thought that it cut the treble level, but measurements show it didn't. What it did was clean the treble up, taking out the hash and hardness that was there. After listening since yesterday I'm convinced that this was a total improvement of sound with no drawbacks. No hardness anymore at all! I'm starting to think that maybe all fullrange drivers would be improved with a phase plug. It's helped on all the different ones I've used them in so far.

Dave :^)

Re: Phase plug mod [message #20202 is a reply to message #20196] Tue, 27 July 2004 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Dave!

How do you go about attaching the phase plug - do you glue it to the pole piece?

Do you anticipate any problems with an open VC gap?

Charlie

Re: Phase plug mod [message #20207 is a reply to message #20202] Tue, 27 July 2004 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Charlie,
I just contact cemented the phase plugs on. I used a pair of 10" woofers with a phase plug and no dust cap for several months with no problems. I do have a grill cloth, also. I believe that Lowthers with phase plugs don't normally have any problems because of the voice coil gap being open. Time will tell.

Dave

What does the phase plug do? [message #20211 is a reply to message #20196] Tue, 27 July 2004 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Dave,
Thanx for sharing your experience. How does one put a phase plug? Remove the dust cap, ad then cement it to the cone? If that is the case then it loads the cone right? I mean what do we cement the phase plug to?

thanx
-akhilesh

Re: What does the phase plug do? [message #20215 is a reply to message #20211] Wed, 28 July 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
The phase plug is not attached to the cone in any way. When you remove the dust cap, you see a hole, that's the inside of the voice coil former. At the end of the hole, you see the back plate. The phase plug is glued to the back plate and should be clear of the voice coil. Some speakers do have a bullet shaped dust cap acting as a phase plug. This kind of phase plug is glued to the cone and its weight is figured in the driver design. But the wooden "light bulb" phase plug of tweaked lowther drivers is not glued to the cone.
Hope this help a little

Re: Phase plug mod [message #20216 is a reply to message #20207] Wed, 28 July 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
robertG is currently offline  robertG
Chancellor
Thing is, you need to keep these drivers (Lowthers and others) out of the shop! any metal particles can (and will) make it's way to the magnet or in between the magnet and voice coil with very bad (and expensive) consequences.

Phase plug info [message #20217 is a reply to message #20211] Wed, 28 July 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's some nice phase plug info.

Dave

Re: What does the phase plug do? [message #20219 is a reply to message #20215] Wed, 28 July 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This does help! Thanx Robert!
-akhilesh

Re: Phase plug info [message #20220 is a reply to message #20217] Wed, 28 July 2004 13:19 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Informative link, Dave.
thanx
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: speaker power
Next Topic: Has Anyone Else Had This Experience?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 08:02:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio