Home » Audio » Speaker » Brief review of EV LS-8's
Brief review of EV LS-8's [message #20076] Wed, 09 June 2004 18:22 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I received a pair of EV LS-8’s earlier today and put them on adapter boards in my open baffles. I’ve been listening to them now for a couple of hours and thought I’d comment on how they sound compared to my LS-12’s. The sound is pretty much what I was expecting, being faster sounding in the upper mids and treble, but not quite as full in the bottom. In direct comparison to the LS-12’s they make the 12’s sound almost “soft”. I notice the 12’s have an almost “fat” sound in the lower mids compared to the 8”s. The high treble sounds smoother with the 8’s, lacking a bit of “hardness” that was sometimes bothersome on the 12’s. All in all, I like the LS-8’s better, coming a bit closer to the perfect speaker (if such a beast exists).
I still think the LS-12’s are a great speaker, and if put in a large box suitable for it’s high Q, it would make a very good speaker, though I suspect it might be even better with a crossover around 8 kHz to help the slight hardness in the treble. It works good in OB’s, too. I think the LS-8’s are better, though, if you are going to use a subwoofer with them. Everything from around 100 Hz on up is better, IMO.
It never ceases to amaze me just how good many of the fullrange drivers from over 40 years ago were made.
I have a pair of MC-8’s on order and will compare them after they arrive. Should be interesting.

Dave

Re: Brief review of EV LS-8's [message #20077 is a reply to message #20076] Wed, 09 June 2004 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Very interesting, Dave, thanks!

How do you think the EV's compare to others like JBL, Eminence and Altec? I've heard a lot of good things about each of these, seems like you can't go wrong with any of them. I guess it's implementation specific; That makes sense. But in general, what are your thoughts?

Re: Brief review of EV LS-8's [message #20079 is a reply to message #20077] Wed, 09 June 2004 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>How do you think the EV's compare to others like JBL, Eminence and Altec? I've heard a lot of good things about each of these, seems like you can't go wrong with any of them. I guess it's implementation specific; That makes sense. But in general, what are your thoughts?
forgot... [message #20080 is a reply to message #20079] Wed, 09 June 2004 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I said I'd only heard pro Eminence, but I forgot about the 2-Pi's I heard a couple of years ago (how could I have forgot those!) I was much impressed with the 2-Pi's and commented about them on the Decware Forum at that time. Been to long to compare with the EV's now, though (of course, if a pair of 2-Pi's were to show up on my doorstep I'd be glad to compare them.) ;^)

Dave

Advantage of ls-12 [message #20081 is a reply to message #20076] Wed, 09 June 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Dave,
Nice review. If you put the ls-12s in a large BR box, you'll probably get real good bass out of them...much more than the ls8s. yu cna use hte same super tweeter, except cross it lower...you'll probably get similar sound..maybe a bit slower...do the LS12s have a largre magnet than the ls8s?
-akhilesh

Re: Advantage of ls-12 [message #20085 is a reply to message #20081] Thu, 10 June 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
akhilesh,
>do the LS12s have a largre magnet than the ls8s?
Re: forgot... [message #20086 is a reply to message #20080] Thu, 10 June 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's interesting. I'm sure I've heard these EV drivers, but I can't identify them in my mind like many speakers made by JBL, Eminence, Altec, Cerwin-Vega and Peavey. Each of those has a sonic signature I'm familiar with, but I haven't really sat with EV's enough to identify them. That's a glaring oversight, so I'll have to get around some and pay more attention.

pics [message #20088 is a reply to message #20086] Thu, 10 June 2004 12:42 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The LS series from Electro-Voice was called "Wolverine", later replaced by the MC or "Michigan" series. These were EV's lower priced fullrange drivers, though by todays standards, they'd be considered pretty well built drivers. LS has cast zink frames, 2 inch edgewound aluminum voice coils. Pretty good for late fifties.

Below are some pics I found of a pair of LS-8's on epay.

LS-8 pics

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/detail?.dir=/Dave%27s&.dnm=856b.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/detail?.dir=/Dave%27s&.dnm=42e7.jpg

A cut-away view of a LS-12

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hurdy_gurdyman/album?.dir=/a0ac

Dave

Previous Topic: 2226 uses :-P
Next Topic: Array types
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 16:55:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio