Home » Audio » Speaker » Lowther newbie
Lowther newbie [message #20050] Sat, 29 May 2004 21:03 Go to next message
Lennyk is currently offline  Lennyk
Esquire
Hello,

I am interested in trying out Lowthers, I would like to build a bass reflex cabinet myself.
Would anyone be able to make a recommendation on which drivers to use and examples of bass reflex cabinets others have used extensively ?

Thanks,

L

Re: Lowther newbie [message #20051 is a reply to message #20050] Sat, 29 May 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abajaj11 is currently offline  abajaj11
Chancellor
HI L,
Mnay people consider Lowthers to sound best in horn designs. BR cabinets may not work for Lowthers, unless you only want them over 100 Hz or so. Just my 2 cents.
-akhilesh

Re: Lowther newbie [message #20052 is a reply to message #20051] Sun, 30 May 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lennyk is currently offline  Lennyk
Esquire
What is a good not too big horn design and model driver to start with ?

Re: Lowther newbie [message #20053 is a reply to message #20050] Sun, 30 May 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Lenny,

A Lowther driver will work very well in a ported enclosure. But to make it work you need to add a correction circuit to rebalance the mid and high frequency with the bass response.

Currently I am using a PM6A driver in my ML TL enclosure (www.quarter-wave.com look under projects). The amount of resistance in the correction circuit for this driver is minimal due to the relatively high Qts value for this particular Lowther driver. I have tried many different Lowther drivers (see T/S list below in this forum) in this enclosure and with some adjustment to the correction circuit resistor they all work well.

Wayne, Jim, and Akhilesh have all heard this ML TL enclosure design with the Fostex FE-206E driver and can report on the performance. The Fostex driver has a Qts in the same range as the most expensive Lowther so it should be a good comparision and a proof of concept for the design.

The correction circuit is important and can be adjusted for personal taste and amp/room combination. To me, this is a nice and powerful feature since it allows the builder to dial in a SPL balance for their individual system. Very flexible. A new variable correction circuit design can be seen under the general speaker related articles on my site and it is the one I am currently using with my Lowther drivers.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Re: Lowther newbie [message #20054 is a reply to message #20052] Sun, 30 May 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Not too big a horn is a dicatomy (sp).Just about any of the required enclosures for the lowther drivers have a larger size cab.The Jericho horn or the Medallion 2 is about the best enclosures ,but the Medallion will only go down to around 60Hz,the Jericho around 45 hz (PM2a)when corner loaded so a sub may be required.If this is your first trip into HE drivers and unless your woodworking skills are fairly good, i would stick to the MLTL that Martin suggests. I am not a big fan of passive circuits but for a low Qts driver in a simple cab its about the only option (at present).
ron

Good reading on the subject. [message #20055 is a reply to message #20050] Sun, 30 May 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/lowtherpm2a_e.html

ron

I can definitely recommend Martin's correction circuit [message #20056 is a reply to message #20053] Sun, 30 May 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abajaj11 is currently offline  abajaj11
Chancellor
As posts further down this forum will attest, I am in complete agreement with Martin about the benefits of a correction circuit. I have never heard them applied to Lowthers, but I would STRONGLY recommend Martin;s web site www.quarter-wave.com
-akhilesh

Re: Lowther newbie [message #20057 is a reply to message #20050] Mon, 31 May 2004 08:27 Go to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Hi Lenny,

Some additional information about the ML TL enclosure from that other nameless evil forum.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/HUG/messages/70594.html

I personally believe that the Lowther drivers will be a step up from the Fostex FE-206E, but I cannot really say for sure.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Previous Topic: Funky Cab - Loth-X Grandeur
Next Topic: Ever wonder how the White Van's Measure?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 00:23:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio