Home » Audio » Speaker » One driver for FULL spectrum or one driver for critical portion of spectrum?
Re: One driver for FULL spectrum or one driver for critical portion of spectrum? [message #20031 is a reply to message #20030] Wed, 26 May 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Let's talk Margiotta into getting a pair. He's a surgeon, so he's got the cash. Besides, I haven't seen him in a while so I gotta bug he and Dawne about something. Here I go to the E-mail to rattle his cage right now...

A word to the wise ....... [message #20032 is a reply to message #20031] Wed, 26 May 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Wayne,

If you buy a pair of Lowthers, make sure you test the T/S paramaters before using them. I love these drivers but ...........

Martin

Re: A word to the wise ....... [message #20033 is a reply to message #20032] Wed, 26 May 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
M a r t i n!

Glads to see you here! Don't stay a stranger so long. You've been sorely missed. When you're not here, we all just ask each other about you anyway.

I understand you've measured electro-mechanical parameters for various Lowther drivers. Would you be willing to share the specs here?

Or does Lowther allow such manufacturing variance that there is significant difference between units?

Re: A word to the wise ....... [message #20034 is a reply to message #20033] Wed, 26 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne,

I received a pair of PM6A drivers yesterday and hope to measure the "out of the box" T/S parameters tonight. At that point I will have seven pairs of Lowther drivers in various states of break-in and I will post a summary of the T/S data.

Hopefully, in the coming months I will post detailed T/S and SPL data for all of them like I did for the DX drivers already.

Martin

Re: A word to the wise ....... [message #20035 is a reply to message #20034] Wed, 26 May 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Most helpful. Most helpful indeed.

Do you use sealed box or added mass measurements? Constant current, constant excursion or constant voltage?

Most folks use sealed box and constant excursion, i.e. test box and approximately 10 ohms known-value series resistance.

Re: A word to the wise ....... [message #20036 is a reply to message #20035] Wed, 26 May 2004 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I use LAUD 3.1 on an old 486 PC that is now located in my workshop. I use the added mass method using nickels (5 gm each) to get a mass that shifts the driver fs encoughto get a good measurement.

I tried the closed box method and really did not like it because it required you to estimate the volume of the back of the driver and magnet inside the box or the front cone volume if the driver was pointed into the box. This change for every driver.

I use a 10.1 ohm series resistor in my set-up and an old Teac receiver to supply the signal. This also allows me to play music for a while before making a measurement.

Re: A word to the wise ....... [message #20037 is a reply to message #20036] Wed, 26 May 2004 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gotcha. Added-mass and constant excursion. That's probably what I'd prefer for the kinds of drivers you're testing too. I've done 'em both ways and I think I like added-mass for smaller, lightweight cones and sealed-box for larger, heavier, high-excursion cones. I really prefer it when I'm dealing with a manufacturer that uses Klipple and other systems like that to provide really good data for me to use. That's the best thing I can think of.

Contenders for Primary Driver? [message #20044 is a reply to message #20017] Thu, 27 May 2004 12:54 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Akhilesh, Dave,

This Option B sound very appealing to me and is definately the route I'd like to explore for my next project (whenever that is).

What do you consider to be good options for the primary driver in this setup? Fostex and Lowthers are obvious choices, but are there others?

Gar.

Previous Topic: Ferguson Hill FH 001 speaker
Next Topic: sub horn for 2240
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 12:46:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers