Home » Audio » Speaker » EV MC-8's???
EV MC-8's??? [message #20021] Mon, 24 May 2004 14:08 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have chance to purchase a pair of EV MC-8's at a good price. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Dave :^)

Re: EV MC-8's??? [message #20022 is a reply to message #20021] Tue, 25 May 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What a bummer there's no EV guys here. Do you have T/S specs, by chance?

Re: EV MC-8's??? [message #20023 is a reply to message #20022] Tue, 25 May 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne, here's what I have.

Fs= 75
Qes=0.87
Qms= 1.95
Qts= 0.60
Vas= 29.7 (no units of measurement given)
Re= 6.5
Le= 0.0 (?)
Sd= 194
X-max= 300 (no units of measurement given)

An old EV flier has this to say:

SPL= 97dB/1 W/1 M
voice coil= 1 inch
Frequency response= 42-20,000Hz
Magnet= 10 oz ceramic
Net weight= 4 lb 2 oz

Maybe EV's old flier is a bit optimistic ;^)

Dave

Re: EV MC-8's??? [message #20024 is a reply to message #20023] Tue, 25 May 2004 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abajaj11 is currently offline  abajaj11
Chancellor
looking at the paramters, it look great!
The ceramic magnets may cause a little more distortion, but probably not a WHOLE lot.
-akhilesh

Re: EV MC-8's??? [message #20026 is a reply to message #20024] Tue, 25 May 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A friend who owns these says the EV ratings are a bit high on sensitivity, perhaps more like 93dB, and that they start rolling off around 12 or 13kHz. I'm hoping to hear any experiences from others who have had them. They still sound like they may be good fullrangers for someone on a budget (like me ;^) ).

Found the T/S parameters here:

http://audionova.nu/docs/spkrdata.htm

Looks about right.

Tha data from the old EV blurb sheet is hard to call. Some of their products seem to be consevitivly rated, while others are somewhat more optimistic.

The Thruth Is Out There!

Dave, looking for the truth!

Re: EV MC-8's??? [message #20028 is a reply to message #20026] Wed, 26 May 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Since the specs came from a Niue website, I would assume Vas is measured in liters. 29.7 liters is a cubic foot which is consistent with the rest of the specs too. So from the numbers, I'd put the speaker in a little box 0.5ft3 to 4.0ft3 port-tuned to 50Hz.

Boxes towards the larger end of this scale will get you response down to 50Hz. 3.5ft3 is a pretty good size, and when vented at 50Hz gives nearly perfectly flat response to 50Hz and with f3 of 45Hz. Smaller boxes raise lower cutoff; 1ft3 port-tuned to 50Hz has f3 of 75Hz. With a subwoofer, that's probably very nice.

Without more data, tweeter selection and crossover design is just shooting from the hip. But sometimes that's the most fun way to shoot. I'd probably try a KSN1038 piezo or a dome tweeter like the Vifa D27, something like that. Use an 8 ohm resistor across the tweeter, which will provide a resistive load across the piezo or damping for the dome, so you'll want it either way but for different reasons. Use a 1uF to 5uF capacitor in series with the tweeter, depending on how high the EV will go. A 4.7uF cap will start bringing in the tweeter above the vocal overtone range and well before the top octave. A 1uF cap will pretty much limit you to 10kHz and up, nothing but air. A 2.2uF or 3.3uF cap will add some sparkle, and might be right where you'll want to be. Hard to say without more info.

I'd run the EV wide open with no components to start. If voices sound too harsh, you might try a 0.1mH to 1.0mH coil in series. A small coil of 0.1mH will be barely audible but a 1.0mH coil will probably reduce the vocal overtone range too much. You may find that you like it best with no components whatsoever, especially since you are already familiar with the single driver sound. But you may prefer it with a 0.5mH coil or thereabouts. You might even try a little network having a 4-8 ohm resistor in parallel with the 0.1mH to 1.0mH coil. But without a Zobel, a series coil provides more of a shelved response curve than acting like first-order, so I find that a single series coil of small value is sometimes just what you want. Again, it's hard to say without any info.

So getcha a small box ported for 50Hz and a handful of components. I'll bet that will make a mighty fine little speaker!

Re: EV MC-8's??? [message #20029 is a reply to message #20028] Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for your input Wayne. I'll add this to my growing list of ideas for these drivers. Sounds like I've got a few future projects now.

Dave :^)

Previous Topic: LAB Subwoofer v3.0 web page
Next Topic: Bill Fitzmaurice Website
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 16:55:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers