Home » Audio » General » the wake up call
the wake up call [message #1991] Tue, 12 July 2005 23:59 Go to next message
angel mercado is currently offline  angel mercado
Baron
Hi guys and gals i finally did i put my maggies mg-1 against a pair of bose.OMG the bose are bad i mean really bad ,I cant say how bad they were and this is with a pair maggies needed a tweeter repair the buzzing sound.All these years i backed up bose for these speakers not anymore i mean its like night and day comparison. i think i liked the 901s because i was young and they were my first speakers but noo way this things are really bad.

Re: the wake up call [message #1993 is a reply to message #1991] Wed, 13 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
pheew; thank God the voice of reason. I almost abandoned this site as a direct result of all this Bose stuff. I commend you for coming to your senses and admitting the problem.
There are some who never caught the joke.

Re: the wake up call [message #1994 is a reply to message #1991] Wed, 13 July 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"You don't know what you don't know."

About three years ago, I switched from a mini system to components and bought myself a pair of Polks floorstanders. Entry model for $200 and I thought they were amazing. Blew away anything I had previous. Now that I listen to them, they sound dead and compressed, hollow because of the big dip in the lower midrange, and flabby in the bass. I still have to admit though, if you only spend a couple of minutes with them, they do sound impressive and fun. But they get tiresome and boring very quickly.

BUT here's the interesting question. Is there merit in "Ignorance is Bliss"? I mean, I was completely happy with the Polks until curiosity got the better of me. And now, I'm forever hunting for magic and emotional connection from a set of speakers. I'm spending more on a single driver than I did for the pair of Polks and the cabinet building seems to never end. If someone's happy with their speakers, be it Polks or Bose, shouldn't we let them be?

Gar.

Re: the wake up call [message #1998 is a reply to message #1991] Wed, 13 July 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I really like the sound of Maggies. I wish I had gone with the MMG and not the MMG-Ws, but live and learn. But for under $300 the Ws are hard to beat. I have the bottom end filled with a Velodyne sub. So for a grand total of $600 or so, it's a pretty good sounding system. The sweet spot is very narrow, but since I'm the only one in the family that listens to music on a regular bais, it's not a problem.

My Maggies were being driven by a Cayin TA-30 (35W PP), and could play much louder than I normally listen (80-90 dB)

Sorry to hear about the 901s not working out. Could the foam surrounds be bad or the equalizer not be working?

If you want some truely great sounding speakers, you should find a pair of Altec A7s. I just picked a pair up a couple of months ago and could not be happier.

Re: the wake up call [message #1999 is a reply to message #1998] Wed, 13 July 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
"you should find a pair of Altec A7s"

You're funny Colin.

I kill myself sometimes (sorry Angel) [message #2001 is a reply to message #1999] Wed, 13 July 2005 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, I just had to throw that in. It was pretty hard to type. I was laughing way too hard ......Colin

Re: I kill myself sometimes (sorry Angel) [message #2002 is a reply to message #2001] Wed, 13 July 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: the wake up call [message #2003 is a reply to message #1999] Wed, 13 July 2005 23:14 Go to previous message
angel mercado is currently offline  angel mercado
Baron
No i hvent bought the 901s yet nor will i ill keep my magnepans. i judt comparedwell i cant sat apples to apples its more like a apple seed to a apple tree farm no comparison what so ever good thing i had them to check out against the maggies david is repairing my tweeters on them they do sound great yeah the altecs were good but it was in my face kind of music and the room being as small as it was didnt help.im running the maggies with a crowm dc300a series 2 just so i will have enough horse power but hey i had to do this comparison to see for myself and i did

Previous Topic: How to Get SWMBO Off Your Back
Next Topic: mac 60
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 08:38:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout