Home » Audio » Speaker » lothx, cain or king?
lothx, cain or king? [message #19965] Thu, 22 April 2004 12:54 Go to next message
balegro is currently offline  balegro
Esquire
hi gang, i heard the most glorious pair of speaks today and now i'm smitten. my friend has homebuilt mjk speakers and they are excellent. i don't want to do woodwork but i maybe could find someone to build the same speakers from martin king plans. what i'd like to know is, how do lothx and cain speakers compare? i'm told the lothx ambience and the cain abby speaks are like these but can be bought whole.

Re: lothx, cain or king? [message #19966 is a reply to message #19965] Fri, 23 April 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
balegro,

I haven't heard either, but my impression from regular visits to various forums is that, although people like the LothX, the Cain & Cain speakers tend to elicit raves. The Cains use Fostex drivers, I believe, which Martin King uses in some of his designs. I don't know what drivers the LothX speakers use.

Re: lothx, cain or king? [message #19974 is a reply to message #19966] Sun, 25 April 2004 09:30 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
LothX speakers use LothX drivers i believe.
TCs Abby appears to be a take off of the orig Voigt Pipe which is a TQWT.This is a sorta combo of a TL,Horn with some BR action thrown in. From all reports it appears to be a superior performer despite what some other simulated measurements (from other forums)have reported.Herb Jensky (sp) brougth the Voigt pipe back to everyones attention when he dropped in a RS-1354 into it.TCs choice of either the Fostex Fe-166e (for nearfield) and the Fe-167 for far field appears to be a logical choice for drivers(IMHO) despite the lower Qts of the drivers.(gotta image like crazy)
Just remember ,its what it sounds like, not always what the physics predict.
ron

Previous Topic: Questions on Midrange Drivers
Next Topic: seriers crossovers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 13:38:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers