Home » Audio » Speaker » review of Sat meeting
review of Sat meeting [message #19927] Mon, 05 April 2004 09:46 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
I think everyone had a good time ---lots of music played a lot of different equipment---and great discussions----Thanks go out to all that brought stuff to play Jim

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19928 is a reply to message #19927] Mon, 05 April 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Jim for hosting it, had a great time and the chicken was excellent.

Bill W.

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19929 is a reply to message #19927] Mon, 05 April 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for letting us all come over to your place, Jim! The food was killer and I love your stereo system. Great stuff!

There's a little write-up and some photos on the π Speakers forum. Can't wait for the next block party!

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19930 is a reply to message #19927] Tue, 06 April 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Jim,
Thanx a lot for your hospitality! The chicken really was excellent, and it was great trying out the different full range setups. It was also nice to hear the zen, the pilot and the paramours. Overall, a very pleasant time!
-akhilesh

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19931 is a reply to message #19927] Tue, 06 April 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds like fun, what kind of music and on what front end? What was the overall tone of the event? Loud and rocky or Jazzy, roots? These things help us all to participate and learn; albeit vicariously. I used to belong to the Audio Society but they became too stuffy, an entire meeting devoted to sampling interconnects! Jeez. So even though it seems a small gathering the results appear more meaningful. But the backslapping, while gracious, fails to provide any meat and potatoes for us out here! Great pics of the equipment and tech. stuff from resident audio guru Wayne; what were those two ways in the back? The Pi's are full and realistic which is something I have'nt found to be the case with Single drivers, although I have only heard Lowthers. Anyone else see it that way?

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19932 is a reply to message #19931] Tue, 06 April 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those two-way speakers are some that Jim has for sale. Check the Swap Meet forum, they're there. This meeting was all single drivers on SET's. Actually, the Pilot is a push-pull, but most of the time we were listening to the Zen or the Paramours. My opinion is that the speakers sounded best on the Paramours 'cause they brought out the bass. But then again, I've heard the Zen's sound better, particularly in the midrange. Just not this time. I thought the Paramours were better all the way around at Jim's house.

I think single driver speakers are great for the dining room, study or office. A good pair like those we heard does the top octave surprisingly well. Not too shabby in the bass either. When I'm visiting folks with single driver speakers, they've always had their speakers connected to amps that generate less than 10 watts, and most times only a watt or two. So everything I've heard from them was at conversation level or maybe a little louder. They sound pretty nice at that volume level.

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19933 is a reply to message #19932] Tue, 06 April 2004 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Yall need to put some 206e s into a good rear loaded horn then use battery powered gainclones. That is very large room filling at concert levels and beyond.
ron

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19935 is a reply to message #19933] Wed, 07 April 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, I would have liked to have heard that too.

I visited a room with rear-loaded single-driver horns at MAF in Lima, but something was wrong 'cause they didn't sound right. When I heard Jim's little Fostex speakers last summer, I knew that what I'd heard in Lima wasn't indicative of their true nature. Maybe I just happened to hear a selection that wasn't mixed well or the source equipment was off that day or something. It had little bass and absolutely nothing above 10kHz. But even if the box was way wrong it wouldn't have affected the top-octave so something else was amiss. I'd like to hear another example of a back-loaded single-driver. I'd also like to spend some time with a large front-loader like an Oris.

Re: review of Sat meeting [message #19936 is a reply to message #19935] Wed, 07 April 2004 07:04 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Well IMHO a front loaded horn is the way to go(ex.Oris) ,but without getting to silly sizes it needs a sub(rolled off
Previous Topic: Re: Can a notch filter improve phase lag?
Next Topic: Where's the beef?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:02:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout