Home » Audio » Speaker » Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done
Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done [message #19874] Tue, 23 March 2004 12:31 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Hey guys! Got the cabinets home Sat and the amp back with a new set of EL84's (matched) on my Pilot 500 amp---Fired them up and running ---still have to tweak the port tube as the tube and the port opening are almost the same so I'm not getting correct function but --first impression is they sound better than the 1.25 box Akhilesh spec'ed out for me---and though the bass doesn't make my ears stand up it's still there and nmore so than in the other box--got to get that tube installed correctly----and I too am running a "filter" as you showed me Akhilesh----and have it installed on "the fly" so I can alter it as I want too-----hopefully we can encourage Phil to bring his now famous 1.3's and we'll have something to do on Sat next---Jim

Re: Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done [message #19875 is a reply to message #19874] Tue, 23 March 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Jim,

You are talking about my Lowther ML TL enclosure with a four inch diameter and six inch long port? What is the filter(s) you are using with the tube amp?

Martin

Re: Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done [message #19876 is a reply to message #19874] Tue, 23 March 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sweet!

I'm anxious to hear your speakers on youir amp, as well as on my Paramours and maybe on Akhilesh or Phil's Zen too.

Re: Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done [message #19877 is a reply to message #19875] Wed, 24 March 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Yes, Ive followed your spec's using the 4" port dia w/ 6" length and the filter is just as Akhilesh helped me with although me inductors and resistors are very close but not exact to what y ou mentioned---the main thing I am hear though, is that I reduced the resistor from 10 ohms to something like 3.7 ohms and that seemed to sound the best--certainly took some of that bright "burn" off---allows one to hear a much nice base----still a few details to attend to to really finish the cabs though----think I will install flared port tubes Jim

Re: Martin Kings's cabs w/ FE206E's done [message #19878 is a reply to message #19877] Wed, 24 March 2004 10:57 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Jim,
Sounds good. I would love to hear it, and compare it to Phil's 206 full ranges.
You should know that the "inductor" i was using when you came to my place was not appropriate (too high a resistance) and you will need to order one from parts express or some other place. Make sure the resistance is as low as possible.

BTW, after i figured that out, i did get a good inductor from PE, and the difference is MUCH more than before. MUCH better bass. I suspect you will find that too. What you have right now is pretty much a series resistance, probably, which is raising the Q but not contouring the response as an inductor would.
thanx
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Building YOUR single driver speaker:
Next Topic: Plan for april meet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:56:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers