Home » Audio » Speaker » Fostex 206 E drivers
Re: Fostex 206 E drivers [message #19756 is a reply to message #19746] Tue, 17 February 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Hi Jim, did you see the new Fostex folded horn speaker kit at Madisound, the BK-16 I think. It's in the "what's new" section and looks like even I could build it. The price is definitely affordable.

Great link Seeker! [message #19757 is a reply to message #19756] Wed, 18 February 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Great link seeker. The price especially is really attractive. I'd be really temtped, if i had some cash & my wife allowed me to!
-akhilesh

Re: Fostex 206 E drivers [message #19759 is a reply to message #19756] Wed, 18 February 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Hey Seek!---I like the kit idea as I think I could at least assemble ---but am still in the "hunt" for a FE 206e---- I got a good reply back from a guy that says he really likes his 206's in Martin's Lowther box---is it all subjective or what ?

Re: Fostex 206 E drivers [message #19760 is a reply to message #19755] Wed, 18 February 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That is exactly what Martin replied to me to do in his "Lowther design" ( I think) and is exactly what others (Akhelish!) said would ruin the "magic" of the driver as a FRD ---I think it's still important to build and listen and thereby get the experience in what sounds like what---otherwise it tends to be a discussion with no conclusion-- These Martin "Lowther" Br box looks pretty easy and straightforward to build too----and it would allow me a good test --#1 build and run without the filter --test # 2--install the low end filter---might build it with a switch to be able to turn on and off the filter---Jim

Re: MAke sure your port size is 2.25 inches [message #19761 is a reply to message #19753] Wed, 18 February 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That is the main reason why I want to build new front baffles--my experience with cutting a good port with a Roto Zip was terrible and I have a re-hab project to get that port exactly 2.25 inches---I plan to build a whole new set this weekend and carpet them as we discussed but now know I can glue all sides and install thur the speaker hole and think I will add some more braces also----this box has possiblities that are yet to be heard---Jim

Re: Fostex 206 E drivers: frequency extension is not everything [message #19762 is a reply to message #19749] Wed, 18 February 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne, there is only one guy in St Louis selling Fostex speakers and I bet ya they are FE 206 E's as that is his # 1 speaker ----Jim

Re: Fostex 206 E drivers: frequency extension is not everything [message #19765 is a reply to message #19762] Wed, 18 February 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I see. The lone seller in St. Louis must be David Dicks then. Phil responded on this thread and said his speakers were built by David Dicks in St. Louis. So I guess that must be him.
Re: Fostex 206 E drivers: not criticizing anyone;s philosophy [message #19767 is a reply to message #19760] Wed, 18 February 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, let me moderate the impression that I was criticizing Martin's approach. He knows WAYYY more than I do on this topic.

I was merely having a philosophical disagreement...with absolutely no empirical evidence to back me up. The proof of the pudding is in the eating... I would suggest you listen or build a box with attentuation and listen.... to me: my main speakers are 3-ways...the full ranges are where I can give my philosophy free rein! To me, it is part of the ZEN of building a system (zen of course means only elegant, simple tweaks).

I have never done a comparo between higher sensitivity single drivers and lower sensitivity ones, with a flatter curve. My suspicion (with no empirical evidence yet) is that the attenuated speaker with a flatter curve will sound better but will lose the immediacy, in your face presence that the more sensitive speaker will have, especially if the speaker/amp combination is considered.
HUH??
Let me elaborate on this proposition: The less sensitive speaker will need a far more expensive amp to provide the same performance. This means more money for the amp to get the same performance. With the more sensitive speaker, a "budget" SET type amp like the ZEN will be able to provide performance that would cost much more dinero. PHIL...where are you? Back me up on this will ya ;-)

SO, given the real world monetary constraints on most of us, the sensitive choice may be better. Refer to the JAn 2004 issue of stereophile for why sensitivity may be good.

This is not to say that a less sensitive speaker will not have the same presence....it CAN...with a much more expensive amp. Also, it will have a flatter response, so it will provide more bass, etc. It really epends on how important the bass is to one, versus the midrange produce dby the speaker/amp combo.

I would love to listen to someone who has built an attenuated speaker and then I can comment more knowledgeably. As of now, Martin is the one who has heard both, and he definitely likes the attenuated design better. I personally asked his advice a while back, and then chose another path, but his advice was excellent, and he is extremely helpful (not to mention knowledgeable).

SO Jim, and others, if this confuses you, then all I can say is: Follow your own heart, grasshopper!
-akhilesh

Re: Fostex 206 E drivers [message #19772 is a reply to message #19756] Thu, 19 February 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, I've looked at it ----and honestly I admit I have no idea of how to evaluate a horn as to great or bad or anything---can't say I 've heard one---need some experience in this area

Re: Fostex 206 E drivers: not criticizing anyone;s philosophy [message #19773 is a reply to message #19767] Thu, 19 February 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Well, I think you ( and I ) have a Speaker Pudding Project and it could be done with a speaker switched with the filters installed and could be played with the filters on or off---I think Mike Creek or somebody was doing this exact thing on a production 2 way ----I have 2 sheets of Baltic Birch and will look into to the design and report back as to what I would need help with---the filter construction doesn't look super hard but I am a novice too---more later Jim

Previous Topic: Who are you calling a Nut :-)
Next Topic: Huge Backloaded horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 01:50:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout