Home » Audio » Speaker » FRD DIY construction
FRD DIY construction [message #19739] Thu, 12 February 2004 09:18 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Akhliesh, Got the boxes mad (finally!) at the size you reccommended---1.25 cu ft---and have them running----and as I was getting this done I found another forum and the subject of the Fostex speakers being used in BR boxes and Fostex reccommendations of loaded horns---anyway one guy says his 1.3 box worked so well (using the FE 206 E ) that he built the 2.5 (which is a standard Lowther box I think) and he was really surprised how well they sounded---he later purchased a pair of DX-3's and it was better yet----Is this an example that the sound is different than what the math would tell us to expect or what ? JD

Re: FRD DIY construction [message #19740 is a reply to message #19739] Thu, 12 February 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Jim,
The math is actually really good at predicting the performance. Our goal in a bass reflex design is to NOT eat up the high bass in order to produce a boom at the lower end (aka the one note samba). Some people may develop a larger box, and then feel they are "getting more bass" but in actuality they have messed up the response.
Based on the published parameters of the fostex driver, the measurements we came up with were the best. YOu will not get the one note low boom, but you should be relatively flat to 65 HZ or so. The alternate design (with the larger voluume) will give you a boom at 50HZ or whatever, but the 60-150 HZ frequencies will be diminished. This is not desirable for fidelity.

SO i would feel good about what you did. MAke sure your port size is right. I think we discussed that measurement in earlier posts as well. If you need more bass, get an active subwoofer (like the Hsu research).
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: FRD DIY construction [message #19741 is a reply to message #19739] Thu, 12 February 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey Jim,
Just saw your post that 2.5 Cu feet box is the "standard box" for the Lowther. Unfortunately, Lowthers have a low enough Q that they may not be suitable for bass reflex boxes. ALso, in my opinion, based on talking to people who have used Lowthers, Lowther has enough variability in their manufacturing that their published parameters are not considered accurate by many...for example go to
www.quarter-wave.com
In general, if you are dealing with Lowthers, you need a horn. That is what a lot of people think, and i tend to agree with them. That s one reason I moved away from them, and i think Fostex drivers are a good way to get into BR single driver speakers.
If you are near to Tulsa, I would love to hear your system.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: FRD DIY construction [message #19742 is a reply to message #19741] Thu, 12 February 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Howdy yall
I normally hang in the full ranger forum , but i happened to see yalls forum somewhere.
SOME fostex work in a BR the Fe-167,207 have a high enough Qts that with little or no series resistance to up the Qes which in turn up the Qts they can be used. Omega is a good example.There is even examples of BR on the lower Qts drivers (Fe166e,206e,168e sigma ect ect) but they are not recomended. Just go to the madison sound fostex page and at the bottom of every page of horn design there will be an example of a BR type cab.
ron

Non-Horn Fostex and Lowther Designs [message #19744 is a reply to message #19742] Sat, 14 February 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Martin King and Bob Brines have excellent sites describing non-horn Fostex and Lowther designs. Martin's site is at http://www.quarter-wave.com and has a link to Bob's. I've built Martin's Fostex FE-208 Sigma design and it's excellent.

Re: Non-Horn Fostex and Lowther Designs [message #19745 is a reply to message #19744] Sat, 14 February 2004 20:02 Go to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Yep they do, but still require series resistance to up the Qts.I am more of a horn type guy as i havent found anything as dynamic as horns. At present i am building a set of horns for the Fostex Fe206e drivers powered by battery powered NIGC (non-inverted gainclones).
Past horns have been based on the Fe-103e and the Fe-166e.At present the 206e are installed in TQWT that were built for the Fe-168e sigma, which i really didnt like as much as either the 166e or the 206e.
ron

Previous Topic: PVC Pipe speaker update
Next Topic: Want to see a nice pair?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 04:49:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers