Home » Audio » Speaker » Rationale for single driver speakers
Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19702 is a reply to message #19696] Fri, 16 January 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Adrian,
I agree with most of your post, it is common "knowledge" and established theory. The problem is, I have built speakers for 30 years and was a subscriber to Speaker Builder for 20. The reality for me is that "my favorite speaker" simply sounds better than anything I ever designed and built.....regardless of how they measured or the "theory" behind them, or the cost. I hate it when that happens. And believe me I have built a few nice ones in that time using the best drivers available.......I have even built ribbon drivers and magnetic planar drivers from scratch ( I have plenty of ribbon material if anyone needs some). And no, I did not get it "right" the very first time......I started building single driver speakers 10 years ago......and never looked back. Not going to either. 20-20k is overrated.
My .02
Ed

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19703 is a reply to message #19690] Fri, 16 January 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My take on fullrange drivers is that they do work and well. I know they can't extend bass and treble as much as a three way, and that beamimg and doppler distortion is greater. Still, a good fullrange driver does something to "music" (vs test tones) that can be close to magical. Perhaps we just don't know what to measure with them yet.
It's kinda like tube amps. The measure higher THD, IM, and not as flat or extended frequency response, but they can do something that can make music come alive. I've heard fullrange drivers driven by tubes that can bring spine chills and goosebumps (in a good way) to the musical listening experience. To me, it's obvious the something is not being measured that explains this.
With fullrange drivers that I've owned, I like to compromise by adding a very hi tweeter crossed at 10 kHz or higher, and a sub below 60 Hz. This allows the fullrange driver to handle all but the extremes. It works!
Best description of the results I can think of is "Coherent".

Dave:^)

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19704 is a reply to message #19703] Fri, 16 January 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi Dave,
Can you tell us which supertweeters & subwoofers worked for you? I want t oadda supertweeter as well, and am curious.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19705 is a reply to message #19704] Fri, 16 January 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So far, I've only tried two, the EV T-35 and a piezo (using a crossover and matching transformer). The piezo just barely makes it as far as sensitivity goes when hooked with my EV LS-12's (crossed with either a 1 uF or a 1.5 uF cap and transformer with 50 ohm resistor). The T-35 is much more efficient then the piezo, but I kind of like the piezo's sound. I have damped the horn on the outside with plumbers putty, also.
Both tweeters work well, but I would like to experiment more before making a recommendation, like using a different horn tweeter, or maybe a ribbon (if I can find an affordable one with enough sensitivity, about 95 dB).

Dave

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19706 is a reply to message #19702] Fri, 16 January 2004 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Ed

Thats true, all of that is established theory. My intent was to simply make a point to Paul, as he said since multi-way systems cannot cover 20Hz to 20KHz either, then we may as well use a fullrange driver instead for that reason. I was just presenting a number of other things to consider other than bandwidth.

But everyone has their own opinions. Some audiophiles will argue that multi-way systems will smear the sound, whilst others will say fullrange drivers sound like clock radio's. Then others may simply choose a fullrange driver for fear that the designer of a multi-way speaker doesn't know what his doing with the crossovers (which elektratig brought up). IMO, it's a waste of time to try and change people's opinions, so instead we can discuss what does differentiate the two systems.

Adrian

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19707 is a reply to message #19701] Fri, 16 January 2004 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Akhilesh

Sure, I bet some of them are very pleasant to listen too.

Everyone has their own opinions. Some audiophiles will argue that multi-way systems will smear the sound, whilst others will say fullrange drivers sound like clock radio's. Then others may simply choose a fullrange driver for fear that the designer of a multi-way speaker doesn't know what his doing with the crossovers (which elektratig brought up). IMO, it's a waste of time to try and change people's opinions, so instead we can discuss what does differentiate the two systems.

What also came to my thoughts - perhaps it's psychological as well. I mean, I've got two different pair's of fullrange drivers here, whizzer cone type. Almost had convinced myself there was something "natural" or "coherant" to the way they sound as well, especially after a lot of listening - I kinda got attracted to them. But after that, I listened to a good multi-way speaker (not the ones I often listen too in my main setup, as I could easily bias in favour of them), and I concluded that the fullrange driver wasn't really that special after going back to listen to a multi-way speaker. But at the time, I had my mind convinced that the single driver sounded better, despite not putting my finger on it. That's the way I view these things anyway.

Adrian

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19708 is a reply to message #19700] Fri, 16 January 2004 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Akhilesh

Would love to listen to your fullranger's, but I'm on the other side of the world in Australia!

Adrian

Re: Rationale for single driver speakers [message #19709 is a reply to message #19706] Sat, 17 January 2004 15:37 Go to previous message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Adrian,
I agree. I did not mean to imply anything but rather post why/how "I" came to the single driver table. And that ultimately, what matters is how things sound to you. Yep, there are many ways to "get there". I doubt there is a "best", well at least a "best" that works for everyone. Then again, there is that one little speaker......................
Ed
BTW.......crossovers....whew, now that is a subject that I really dislike! I tweaked a x-over for over 2 years once! Damn near made me insane. Every change was for the better......well, until I undid the change and then that was better too. Changing slopes improved them also until I went back to the old one. What a nightmare....just choosing the brand of caps was trouble...and then of course I had to try what I did not choose. Which led to different types of inductors.........I am having flash backs already. By the time it was over I had "improved" a very good speaker (an MTM TL, Dynaudio drivers) to the point that it sucked.

Previous Topic: Whiteley Stentorian HF-1012's
Next Topic: Difference between studio monitors and home speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 03:58:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio